New member: Buying a new push behind lawn mower - Snapper or Honda

Mini Motors

Threads
  • / New member: Buying a new push behind lawn mower - Snapper or Honda
Rubber pieces more than plastic. The common complain over the years with ethanol has been that it eats away at older types of o-rings and some diaphragms/gaskets.

But back to the OP's original comment. It does sound like that guy wants to sell you a new unit. And while there is a difference between a Honda you get at a big box store and one you get at a true power equipment dealer, the difference is in the body, not the motor.

And I think your problem might be gas related, just not ethanol. I only put name brand gas in anything I own. Sunoco, to be exact. (*) And even name brands can be not so good. My son had trouble with Shell gas in his car. And while Sta-bil is a decent product, nothing beats just running it dry at the end of the season. Another thing I do is to run Sea Foam in everything all year long. It does some of the things that Sta-bil does, and helps to keep carbon deposits down, something that is a bigger problem in these air cooled(higher temps) and higher revving(2 stroke trimmers,chainsaws...)engines.

(*) Probably a comment for The Front Porch, but I chose Sunoco because it doesn't come from the Middle East.

fm12

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have almost an acre with gardens taking up about 30% of the area. I am in the market for a new mower and

Sorry this posted before i could finish. I am looking at the Snapper P21875 or the Honda HRX. I am not very educated on what is best, but i am looking for a good reliable machine that can be used by myself and my 12 year old son. I have an entry level Honda at this time but have had nothing but carb issues each year. Please let me know what you think of the choices or if there is another machine i should be considering.

Thank you!

My wife has cut 2 acres of grass for the last 3 years with a 20 inch cut Honda walk behind and it has never missed abeat.It would be the Honda for me

twinfords

Threads
you have recieved good info so far, if the mower ran last year when put away properly (run tank dry) turn off fuel line if so equipped. the mower should run fine this year, add gas turn fuel line on and start. If you get a new mower Honda is best but Snapper is close second. Do not keep this crap they call fuel in any small engine equipment for longer thsn 2 months.....

tyjoja

Threads
I would give the honda you have 1 more shot. Look on the web and find a new carb for yours. I just replaced carbs for 2 hondas for under a hundred bucks and they were commercial. Then like some above said, turn off the gas and run dry every time. The other thing I do is I buy non ethanol gas for all my mowers. Cost a little more but worth it. I also use staybil in the gas. Lastly, I heard something the other day that makes sense, always leave your small engine stuff with a full tank of gas. If it has less than full, there is more air next to the gas, which can't help but draw moisture. P.S. The carbs I bought came with the jets all set, ready to bolt on and start. To get to the carbs you have to pull the tank off, while off, make sure you rinse them and the gas line out with plenty of fresh gas. good luck.

mbush2056

Forum Newbie
Threads
now this is a differant story. I thought they said eat the metal up not plastic?

Regarding Honda Carb and other issues,
Hello all,
As I am a new member, I don't want to come off as an expert. I purchased a new Honda HRR216VXA Rear drive bagger, mulcher (walk behind). I bought it Sept., 2011. It started running rough after a few cuts. Very sandy here. I kept it clean after every use, with new gas and stabilizer. At the end of the season I let it run out of gas, etc., and this spring, I took it to the dealer that I bought it from for a tune-up. I was surprised that they replaced the entire carb ($20.?) Total for sharpening blade, new carb, oil, plug, adjust. My air filter was new, but I asked for another for later, totalling $100. Now, that's $600 since Fall. I have been mowing my grass since I was a kid, and quality always trumps, but I don't know if Honda is a good deal at that price. Go know...MB

tyjoja

Threads
I too was having carb probs with a commecial honda and was looking at 80 to 100 to rebuild carb at shop. Looked on line for my model and bought a brand new carb for around 40 and bolted it on myself. worked like a champ. I buy non ethanol gas and use stabil. I have also been told to keep the tanks full and there is less air to condensate to water. Sounds like I need to run the carbs out of gas after each use also. All the honda's I've seen have a shut off. good luck

lifesgood14

Forum Newbie
Threads
go with the honda it will never let you down