New Maintenance Questions

Brucebotti

Threads
Hello All,
Thanks again for all your help in my purchase of a Toro MX5060 ZTR. I do have a few maintenance questions.

-Should I use Kawasaki OEM oil filters, or is a brand like Sten (made by Wix I believe) okay? Would the use of other than OEM void the warrantee?

-If I only change the oil and filter once a year (25-50 hours), should it be done at the beginning or end of the season?

-The first oil/filter change for the ZT-2800 Hydros is recommended at 50 hours. This could conceivably be in two years. Would you wait that long, or would you change it at the end of this season?

Thanks,
Bruce

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You can use the Stens filters without worrying. It will not void the warranty, federal laws says a manufacturer cannot void a warranty based solely on the use of aftermarket parts. Most aftermarket oil filters are made by the same company that makes the OEM anyway. I don't thing waiting 2 years to change the hydro filter will have any ill effects. that is a relatively clean environment with no external contamination. the decision to change the oil in the spring or fall is personal preference.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hello All,
Thanks again for all your help in my purchase of a Toro MX5060 ZTR. I do have a few maintenance questions.

-Should I use Kawasaki OEM oil filters, or is a brand like Sten (made by Wix I believe) okay? Would the use of other than OEM void the warrantee?

-If I only change the oil and filter once a year (25-50 hours), should it be done at the beginning or end of the season?

-The first oil/filter change for the ZT-2800 Hydros is recommended at 50 hours. This could conceivably be in two years. Would you wait that long, or would you change it at the end of this season?

Thanks,
Bruce

You can use the Stens filters without worrying. It will not void the warranty, federal laws says a manufacturer cannot void a warranty based solely on the use of aftermarket parts. Most aftermarket oil filters are made by the same company that makes the OEM anyway. I don't thing waiting 2 years to change the hydro filter will have any ill effects. that is a relatively clean environment with no external contamination. the decision to change the oil in the spring or fall is personal preference.

You may not be able to use Stens filters or any other filters except the OEM. Both my Kawasaki engine will only accept OEM. The threads on the engines wont accept anything but the Kawasaki filters. As far as changing the oil, time of year doesn't matter as long as you change everything at the recommended hour interval. The hydro change is the same, just use the recommended hour interval. The thing I don't understand is why people spend 3,4, 5000 dollars and more on a mower and want to use a cheap after market oil filter really just baffles the mind.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
You may not be able to use Stens filters or any other filters except the OEM. Both my Kawasaki engine will only accept OEM. The threads on the engines wont accept anything but the Kawasaki filters. As far as changing the oil, time of year doesn't matter as long as you change everything at the recommended hour interval. The hydro change is the same, just use the recommended hour interval. The thing I don't understand is why people spend 3,4, 5000 dollars and more on a mower and want to use a cheap after market oil filter really just baffles the mind.

I tend to agree...I use an AC/DELCO brand oil filter on my Chevy truck(for 250K miles plus), a MotoCraft oil filter on my wifes Lincoln LS(for 150k miles plus) and when I had a Briggs & Stratton engine in my lawn tractors I used a B & S oil filter. I just changed the oil on my new ZTR with a Kawa engine.....and used a Kawa oil filter. Not saying, there aren't a lot of good "aftermarket" oil filters(and may not be any significant difference between tham and the OEM filters) and the OEM may cost a "little more" I just think the manufacturer can be trusted to design and sell an oil filter that will be good for whichever engine it is on.

A_tank96

Threads
I tend to agree...I use an AC/DELCO brand oil filter on my Chevy truck(for 250K miles plus), a MotoCraft oil filter on my wifes Lincoln LS(for 150k miles plus) and when I had a Briggs & Stratton engine in my lawn tractors I used a B & S oil filter. I just changed the oil on my new ZTR with a Kawa engine.....and used a Kawa oil filter. Not saying, there aren't a lot of good "aftermarket" oil filters(and may not be any significant difference between tham and the OEM filters) and the OEM may cost a "little more" I just think the manufacturer can be trusted to design and sell an oil filter that will be good for whichever engine it is on.

Same here. I Pretty much use Purolater Pure One oil filters in everything that has an engine and runs at my place. And they are definitely not cheap....

A_tank96

HarryHarley

Threads
Living in Louisiana I mow all year long. Change oil a couple of times a year but always before the recommended interval.
To your question. If I was putting it away for the winter I would change it at the end of the year. Why leave all those contaminants in the engine over winter storage.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads

I really don't care about the oil you put in your mower, think everyone will have a favorite brand they use but knowing that the oil filter is most important part to your engine and its life span that you can use it baffles me why anyone would buy a good oil filter or use the OEM and change it often.

Brucebotti

Threads
Thanks for the help everyone.

As far as oil filters go, I don't see why a name brand filter made by Wix, Purolator, or Fram, would be any worse or any better than OEM. The only reason I likely won't go with a Kawasaki filter is that I don't want to make a special trip to the dealer. That being said, I could always order it on line and have it delivered. Since I will likely only be changing the oil and filter once a year, the OEM price won't kill me...:laughing:

Thanks again,
Bruce

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
My local Home Depot sells Kawasaki oil filters, I buy them for my Hustler X-ONE/Kawasaki FX730V engine which has a 36 month warranty.
Mad Mackie in CT

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I use wix filters not for the price. I think they are a better filter. I use k&n air filters on my Kohler

(( racing is the only sport that you need two balls ))