New Kohler replacement engine won't stay running

WiLee

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 1998 Scag Super Z and just replaced the engine with a brand new Kohler spec replacement. When I start the new engine, it won't stay running for more than a couple seconds. It seems like
when I turn the key out of the start position after it's running, it quits. Anyone have an idea what's going on with it?

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
could be a difference in the ignition, or in the hookup to the fuel shutoff solenoid. Post both engine's model and spec numbers...

WiLee

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the reply Fish, definately appreciate the help. The original model# is CV22S spec.# PS67523 and the replacement is model CV680- 3037.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Well it looks like the original engine has "SmartSpark" and the new one does not, so there will be a hookup issue. Smartspark, or the SAM module{speed advance module} is some little idea that some crazed Nazi invented to haunt folks that have to work on this crap for a living....

You need to get the Kohler manual and get the wiring schematic for your mower. You do not want to try and start it anymore, because if you have it hooked up wrong, you could destroy your ignition coils. As a matter of fact, go ahead and leave them unplugged for now, the little wire that plugs in at the base, and with those unplugged, try and start it and see what happens. You may have to pull the plug wires off to shut it down, if the fuel solenoid isn't hooked up correctly either.