NEW John Deere E130 riding mower

bemick764

Forum Newbie
Threads
My new mower cuts off while cutting grass on my hill...it restarts when on a flat area and runs fine again until on incline again. The fuel tank is under the seat in this model and appears to have a top mounted pickup like in a fuel pumped system. Is there a baffled tank,slosh sock for pickup or a stronger pump that can be purchased to fix the situation ? should I switch to a gravity fed tank? Any knowledge on this problem,insight or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Mick

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Your engine has a vacuum operated fuel pump. I suspect you have a safety switch issue or other wiring issues.

mac

Threads
My new mower cuts off while cutting grass on my hill...it restarts when on a flat area and runs fine again until on incline again. The fuel tank is under the seat in this model and appears to have a top mounted pickup like in a fuel pumped system. Is there a baffled tank,slosh sock for pickup or a stronger pump that can be purchased to fix the situation ? should I switch to a gravity fed tank? Any knowledge on this problem,insight or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Mick
I suspect that you have a safety switch issue. How steep is that hill?

bemick764

Forum Newbie
Threads
I forgot to mention that I bypassed the seat switch so I could cut hill...It feels fuel related

mac

Threads
I forgot to mention that I bypassed the seat switch so I could cut hill...It feels fuel related
No, I think your problem is due to the steepness of your hill. Describe the steepness of your hill.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Now cut out is not a good enough description
Does it stop dead from full speed like you just turned the engine off
or does it surge a few times then stop like you have run out of fuel
Have a good think about that and get back.
If it stops dead then 90% chance it is electrical
If it surges, looses power a few times & stops then it is fuel

bemick764

Forum Newbie
Threads
No, I think your problem is due to the steepness of your hill. Describe the steepness of your hill.
Now cut out is not a good enough description
Does it stop dead from full speed like you just turned the engine off
or does it surge a few times then stop like you have run out of fuel
Have a good think about that and get back.
If it stops dead then 90% chance it is electrical
If it surges, looses power a few times & stops then it is fuel
Your engine has a vacuum operated fuel pump. I suspect you have a safety switch issue or other wiring issues.

bemick764

Forum Newbie
Threads
A vacuum diaphram fuel pump with a tank lower than carb level...bad idea !

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Low oil cutoff? Can you cut that hill at an angle, or a different angle?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
A vacuum diaphram fuel pump with a tank lower than carb level...bad idea !
Just about every JD tractor mower made in the last 20 years has this system and they work just fine.
Add to that about 1/3 of the output from AYP ( Husky, Craftsaman, McCulloch, Roper, Rover etc etc )
They all work just fine so there is nothing wrong with the design.
There is a problem with your mower and to get to the bottom of it we need to know EXACTLY WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE WHEN IT STOPS .
Otherwise we will have you chasing shadows for no good purpose.

So to start we need to work out if it is a fuel or electrical problem.
It could be some thing as simple as water in the tank or some thing as difficult to find as a loose wire making contact when the mower is on an incline.

Now it should have a 22 Hp 44N677 Briggs engine in it which according to the IPL I have does not come with an oil level switch but to confirm this we need the rest of the engine number .
Now the rest is up to you.
You have the mower in front of you.
None of us are there drinking your beer and testing the mower so unless you answer the questions asked then we can not really be of any meaningful assistance.