New Jacobsen 628D owner needing repair help

Aufan01

Forum Newbie
Threads
I recently purchased two 628Ds, one 4wd and one 2wd. This is the first hydrostatic equipment I've ever owned and now trying to maintain.
The 4wd 628D wants to continue to move either forward or backwards once you take your foot off the gas, depending on which direction I was going. The left lifting arm doesn't want to go up, the brakes don't work near as good as the 2wd 628D, and when I turn the wheels all the way to the right the machine starts moving forwards.
I kind of don't know where to start other than making sure there is plenty of hydraulic fluid. Any help or guidance is appreciated.

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
I recently purchased two 628Ds, one 4wd and one 2wd. This is the first hydrostatic equipment I've ever owned and now trying to maintain.
The 4wd 628D wants to continue to move either forward or backwards once you take your foot off the gas, depending on which direction I was going. The left lifting arm doesn't want to go up, the brakes don't work near as good as the 2wd 628D, and when I turn the wheels all the way to the right the machine starts moving forwards.
I kind of don't know where to start other than making sure there is plenty of hydraulic fluid. Any help or guidance is appreciated.
If these units are new, take back to dealer and have adjusted/fixed.
If used and out of warranty, find model number, and search for service manual and proceed from there.

Aufan01

Forum Newbie
Threads
If these units are new, take back to dealer and have adjusted/fixed.
If used and out of warranty, find model number, and search for service manual and proceed from there.
Sorry I left that out that it is used, 2006. I've have a maintenance manual which has is basically setup, a maintenance schedule, and schematics for parts but nothing to help trouble shoot the issues the mower is having.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Well personally I don't see a gas pedal just a forward and reverse pedals.

Sounds like the hdrostatic unit needs a return to neutral adjustment which I don't know which Eaton unit this mower has so I can't look it up..

Aufan01

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well personally I don't see a gas pedal just a forward and reverse pedals.

Sounds like the hdrostatic unit needs a return to neutral adjustment which I don't know which Eaton unit this mower has so I can't look it up..
Does this help?

Attachments

• Resized_20231030_124730.jpeg
    Resized_20231030_124730.jpeg
    138.7 KB · Views: 3

northcreeek262

Threads
These machines will creep in the neutral position most times, that is what the park brake is for. You can lubricate and adjust the linkage to get it fine tuned but, the creep will always be there which I actually like when I hose the tires off.
As for the arm, I'm assuming you mean the arm that lifts the lift chains. Remove the column cover and you should find the problem.

Last edited: