New Honda HRX217HZAA

PT Doc

Forum Newbie
Threads
Supposedly Honda can check to see if your mower has the problem part. If you buy a new mower, you can call them, give the serial number and they will tell you if your mower needs to be serviced. If yes, then either you wait or return and try again.

Robertog

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have been in contact with Honda Canada, they know there is an issue with this mower but have no idea when they are going to be able to supply a new decompression valve.

PT Doc

Forum Newbie
Threads
its dishesrtening to hear about all of these failures. Most folks don’t have a backup mower. When buying a new mower. It makes sense to fill with oil and gas and just run it, let it cool down and run it again. Seems like this compression shows up after a few uses. Such a lousy situation.

Robertog

Forum Newbie
Threads
the sad part about this is that Honda knew about the problem but continued to sell us faulty lawn mowers anyway. They should have issued a recall , issued instructions to dealers to not sell these mowers, but they did what corporate greed always does.

Spark*Plug

Forum Newbie
Threads
Supposedly Honda can check to see if your mower has the problem part. If you buy a new mower, you can call them, give the serial number and they will tell you if your mower needs to be serviced. If yes, then either you wait or return and try again.
I bought a new HRX mower on Monday, and it’s having this problem - I did try calling the honda customer advocacy number, and the person on the phone said they don’t have a proper list of serial numbers, so they could not tell me if the mower is in an affected range.

Robertog

Forum Newbie
Threads
I finally got mine fixed under warranty, but it took 2 and a half months to get a working lawnmower

Spark*Plug

Forum Newbie
Threads
just got my mower back - so three weeks one day. Not sure if the delay was parts or backed up - normally, I think they said it would be 10-14 days this time of year, because of their backlog. The extra time I'm guessing is getting the part.

all covered under warranty.

Wolfepack88

Threads
I just wanted to let you guys know that I had to have my entire engine replaced. Ever since I got the mower back from the original camshaft repair I had to always add some oil after every other use. I thought man this uses oil up but didn't think anything of it. Literally one of my last mows, I noticed oil all over at the end of my mow. Well I dropped my Honda mower off on November 4, 2023 and just picked it up today. I never knew what the problem was but the receipt says engine rebuild. The parts listed are:

Camshaft assembly
Connecting Rod
Crankcase assembly
cranckcase cover
crankshaft
cylinder
flywheel
coil assembly, ignition
piston
ring set, piston
clip
oring

So don't know if there is another problem brewing with these mowers because this thing was cared for like a it was a Bentley. Honda covered everything under warranty but I don't really know what happened or why. Was the original camshaft repair not done properly, who knows. Hopefully it's not a lemon. It's February so I cannot even test it yet so hopefully when mowing starts in April I am good to go.

Last edited:

Wolfepack88

Threads
Latest update. Took my mower out for the first mow of the season very small growth but you know once the grass gets going it will grow quickly. Well I start it up and engage the tranny and it sounds like a coffee grinder. I keep going and after say 20 minutes it got a little better but had to run the speed at full throttle and it was old man walking speed. Had my son look at the RPM gauge as I was mowing, anywhere between 2580 and 2900. At idle it was at 3800 so the mechanic that put the engine together must have calibrated the RPM at idle in the shop and never checked it with the blades engaged. They never checked the tranny which I told them in Nov was running rough and never was right. I was so close today to just tell them just keep this pos because the aggravation between cam shaft replacement, then a whole engine that took from Nov 4th until Feb 28th of this year to get fixed and they obviously forgot about the tranny. all this was after buying 3 of the HZA's last year and all failing because of the camshaft issue.

Wolfepack88

Threads
Got the mower back and supposedly all fixed. Well ground speed issue wasn't fixed when I got back home but noticed the youtube video on how to adjust the throttle cable and that fixed the ground speed problem but grinding was still there. I noticed today a couple of fluid drops under the mower and then looked under the mower and noticed a few drops right here on the tranny. This is a mower that was used for one half a season and one mow this season. See this leak area on the tranny. Tranny has to be bad. Back to dealer tomorrow for third time this season already!!

Attachments

• Transmission Fluid Leak.jpg
    Transmission Fluid Leak.jpg
    968.1 KB · Views: 2