New HF2417HME issue

DeeTee

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello, I just received a brand new HF2417HME. The warranty is for 2 years. The delivery person dropped it off on Tuesday and was able to walk me through the operation, and everything looked good. I mowed half my yard and loved the tractor. The next day, Wednesday, I went to finish the mowing, and while mowing at FAST throttle, the tractor started to sputter and cut out, and finally I heard a backfire followed by a puff of white smoke. I throttled it down and raised the cutting assembly. I tried to run again, and the sputtering happened again. I raised the cutting assembly, shut it down, and looked around the engine area. All looked good, so I decided to see if I could make it to the shed to park it. With the cutting assembly up, the tractor ran fine. I lowered the assembly, and the problem started again.

I am curious what this group thinks the problem could be. The grasscatcher was empty at the time.The grass is high, but not that high. I'm in Northern France. It rains a lot. As mentioned, it is under warranty, so I am waiting for the current two-day holiday to end before contacting the dealer. I am looking here for opinions on what might cause this, as the dealer will have to charge me to come and get the mower. We are 40 minutes from the dealership. I'm hoping that it can be resolved without sending the tractor to the dealership.

(updated on 5/10 to add warranty information)

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Not sure what type of mower you have as that number is not familiar to me
IF you have a belt drive to the deck remove the belt and see if you can spin the blades by hand

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
If search engine is right it is a Honda Rider. If brand new I call the dealer and have them to check it out under warranty. Working on it yourself voids most warranties.

DeeTee

Forum Newbie
Threads
If search engine is right it is a Honda Rider. If brand new I call the dealer and have them to check it out under warranty. Working on it yourself voids most warranties.
Agreed on that. It is new, under warranty, parked and waiting for the holidays here to end this week before I can reach out to the dealer. Thanks for the quick replay.

Threads
I can't speak to your immediate issue but want to let you know (if you don't already) that these engines are made to run at full throttle continuously when blades are engaged and cutting. Just FYI . . . Good luck with the problem you are having. These guys on here are pretty sharp (pun intended) and will set you right!

DeeTee

Forum Newbie
Threads
I can't speak to your immediate issue but want to let you know (if you don't already) that these engines are made to run at full throttle continuously when blades are engaged and cutting. Just FYI . . . Good luck with the problem you are having. These guys on here are pretty sharp (pun intended) and will set you right!
Thanks, I have been running at full speed.