New guy issues. Scag 52 swz with Koehler 18

Bluegrassfj40

Threads
Hey everyone. New here.
I have a couple dumb new guy questions.
- bought a used scag 52 swz with a kohler command pro 18.
- what powers the electric clutch? There is no battery on the mower. Is that normal?
- the clutch was not working when I got it. It failed the resistance check. I replaced it but the new part is also not engaging.
- checked voltage at the voltage regulator and it was 24v at full speed and 12v at low speed. So not working. Replaced that part but now it’s 12v at high speed and 3v at low speed and clutch still does not shift.

confused. Any help appreciated.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
We really need the full model number which should look like this SWZL52V-18????
That is a big unit to be pull start only
With electric clutched they burn out alternators , rectifiers & clutches at a rapid rate .
The Kohler manual can be found here K & T mower parts

Bluegrassfj40

Threads
We really need the full model number which should look like this SWZL52V-18????
That is a big unit to be pull start only
With electric clutched they burn out alternators , rectifiers & clutches at a rapid rate .
The Kohler manual can be found here K & T mower parts
Swz52A-18KH is the model number.
Thx for the reply!

Bluegrassfj40

Threads
Swz52A-18KH is the model number.
Thx for the reply!
There is a cover missing where the starter would go (can see the flywheel) and the top cover was loose. Who know what this thing went through my before I got it. Is it possible to tell from the model number if it originally had an electric starter?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I can not but if you post the serial number from the mower some will
Sounds like the alternator went so they took the starter off then just used the emergency pull start from then on in
As previously mentioned running without a battery will kill the stator in a very short time
So the entire electrical system is suspect
The instructions for checking & testing is in the manual

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I seen setups where they use a battery-less charging system. Requires rectifier/regulator setup for this. This mower use such a system. Also it has a Kohler CV493T series engine but would need the serial as at two different specs were used. There are 27 different serial breaks on this unit.

And yes it is just a dummy cover where the starter would had been on the specs that used an electric starter.

Bluegrassfj40

Threads
I can not but if you post the serial number from the mower some will
Sounds like the alternator went so they took the starter off then just used the emergency pull start from then on in
As previously mentioned running without a battery will kill the stator in a very short time
So the entire electrical system is suspect
The instructions for checking & testing is in the manual
Thx for the response.
Serial number is 9080045.
there is no battery on the mower and no place for a battery. I have tried to look up pictures of similar units to see if some of them don’t have batteries and it seems like some do not. I also seem to remember that there is a different stator and voltage rectifier/regulator depending on battery or not. Non batter is 15A and battery version is 3A. But I could be totally wrong with that.

Bluegrassfj40

Threads
I seen setups where they use a battery-less charging system. Requires rectifier/regulator setup for this. This mower use such a system. Also it has a Kohler CV493T series engine but would need the serial as at two different specs were used. There are 27 different serial breaks on this unit.

And yes it is just a dummy cover where the starter would had been on the specs that used an electric starter.
Thx for the response. Helpful. I’ll look for the serial number on the motor. I believe the tag was damaged or missing but I’ll look again.

Bluegrassfj40

Threads
So I got another new voltage reg off of amazon. Doing the same thing as the previous new regulator. It’s putting out 14v at full throttle then drops out at half throttle to 3v. Other odd thing is the clutch won’t engage even when t he regulator is putting out 14v. I put the original regulator in it. Throttled it down to low speed. Putting out 12v and the clutch engages. Possibly not enough current out of the new regulator? Super weird. There has to be an answer out there somewhere:). Just have to find it.