new engine on wheel horse wiring?

crazyoldtractor

Threads
I just mounted a new engine om my wheel horse 252 h tractor. The engine is a Kohler cv16s 16.5hp. I took this engine off of a craftsman 917.271140 tractor. I got it mounted on the wheel horse but now I'm very confused with how to wire this engine. I took all the wires off the craftsman and hooked them up very sloppy temporarily on the wheel horse. This new engine has some more fancy stuff, like a fuel solenoid and spark advance module whatever that is. I try turning the key and nothing happens. There are two dangling wire I don't have anything to hook them up to on the wheel horse. They are the PTO and brake saftey switch. How do I bypass those. I have the two connector=s just dangling and don't know what to do with them. Both connectors are the same and are both 4 pin connectors.

benski

Threads
You'll be in to this one for some time. Your fuel solenoid should be energized with the key in the "on "position. I think your PTO will be open, and your brake safety switch grounded for it to start. Your spark module will need to get power with the key on also. I hope this helps, doing wiring from 2800 miles away isn't something I'm good at. If you can get a schematic for your old mower, that might help you see the light, so to speak.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
If it has a "coil" type ignition system.. it will need power applied... BUT if it is a Magneto type ignition, applying power will destroy it.. Most are magneto type... you only apply ground to kill the magneto.
Check what you have before you hook wiring up... :smile:KennyV