New deck for older scag

soccrfam

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am wanting to replace my advantage deck with a new velocity deck. Is this doable? I have a tiger cub with about 800 hours on it.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
I am wanting to replace my advantage deck with a new velocity deck. Is this doable? I have a tiger cub with about 800 hours on it.

I'm curious to know why you want to do this. A new Velocity deck is probably expensive, but will not increase the value of your machine by much. I think that it is doable, but you need to compare parts from each to make sure that you don't get into a situation where you need odd size V belts and pulleys etc., to make it work.
Contacting Scag and/or a reputable Scag servicing dealer is a good place to start.

Last edited:

soccrfam

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm curious to know why you want to do this. A new Velocity deck is probably expensive, but will not increase the value of your machine by much. I think that it is doable, but you need to compare parts from each to make sure that you don't get into a situation where you need odd size V belts and pulleys etc., to make it work.
Contacting Scag and/or a reputable Scag servicing dealer is a good place to start.

I am a small business owner and have older mowers, one older than the other. I am strongly considering getting a new cheetah with the velocity deck, but I am concerned that my other older one will show a difference in the cut. I can't afford 2 mowers, but thought about just changing out the deck. I am sure it will be pricey, but asking questions is free and I was hoping to gain some knowledge from you all.

I did send out an email to scag and did contact a local dealer, who was a bit perplexed on my question. Seemed logical to me that decks can be damaged and get replaced, so I was trying to come up with a economical way to have similar mowing patterns.

Maybe it will work and if not, then nothing lost.

Thanks for the response.

soccrfam

Forum Newbie
Threads
Good reading, thanks for the info. I am not sure of the type of grass they were referring to, I am in central Michigan and deal mostly with fescue and bluegrass. The reviews were different then what I was expecting, but it is what it is.

Does swapping the deck sound like a plausible idea, or just not worth the hassle?

I appappreciate the insight, thanks for all your help.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Just did a search for Advantage vs Velocity decks and found the Scag ads about both decks. From what I see in the ads, the Velocity deck has a larger discharge opening, but otherwise very similar to each other. There may be a dimensional difference front to rear of the decks and the machine frame sizes may be different. Several years ago I did some repairs to 36" walk behind, mostly welding, that had an Advantage deck and Scag still uses Advantage decks on some machines, walk behinds and V Riders. V Riders don't sell very well in my area, not sure why though.
As for my Tiger Cub with a Velocity deck, I think that it blows out too much, but just my thoughts. Most of the time I use a collection system, but last summer I bought a blocking plate and put mulching blades on and did this all season until fall and spring cleanup. Today I changed it back to mulching and probably will leave it this way for this season. I put the standard front baffle back on and I have it in the lowest position where I also put the collection front baffle. I keep the plastic chute and tools handy in my trailer so I can side discharge should I feel the need to when on a job.

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
We run two Tiger Cats with Velocity decks on them. The Velocity deck cuts stem grass incredibly well. Most yards we cut in South Alabama have Bahia. Nothing I have seen cuts it better.

LoCo86

Threads
Good reading, thanks for the info. I am not sure of the type of grass they were referring to, I am in central Michigan and deal mostly with fescue and bluegrass. The reviews were different then what I was expecting, but it is what it is. Does swapping the deck sound like a plausible idea, or just not worth the hassle? I appappreciate the insight, thanks for all your help.

I don't know if you have got a price on a new deck yet but to get a new deck for my Exmark 52" runs close to $2500.

soccrfam

Forum Newbie
Threads
That's kind of the ballpark I was thinking I did send an email to scag, I will post what they say