new carb for my tecumseh toro recycler lawnmower question

kuby123

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / new carb for my tecumseh toro recycler lawnmower question
I sure hope somebody can help me with this. After fooling around with my carb for a month I finally said forget it and bought a new one from ebay. model of toro is LV195EA. carb is 640350. engine is tecumseh6.5 hp It is exactly the same size as the one I took off the engine. The old one would not start or even pop. I figured it was primer bulb but after taking it apart I saw it was the tiny o ring in center that holds a red plastic jet. It was torn up. Any way, the new carb arrived , I installed it perfectly like old one. now after 10 pumps on bulb I got it to start and run but just at a low sputtering idle. I screwed in the idle screw to heighten the rpms but that didnt help much. next I manually pushed the little plate on top that holds two stiff wires that connect to a pull-back spring and another to an arm thats supposed to rev the engine when needed. when I pushed this plate the engine started reving so high I thought it was going to blow. I released it but it kept revving too high so I turned it off. Retried it and just the same low rpm sputter again. It did this over and over so I just stopped and found this forum. I dont know what to do. does anybody have a picture of the linkage I can look at even though I'm 99% sure I reattached it right. any suggestions appreciated.

Mike88se

Threads
That isn't a Toro model number. I think it may be a Tecumseh engine number which is also helpful. Your Toro model number will be something like 200xx like 20009 or 20016. Not sure which all 22" Recyclers used the Tecumseh engine but I'm sure somebody here does know. Sounds like you're fooling with the governor?
It sounds like you have the springs or control levers wrong.
You might find something here that helps.
I sure hope somebody can help me with this. After fooling around with my carb for a month I finally said forget it and bought a new one from ebay. model of toro is LV195EA. carb is 640350. engine is tecumseh6.5 hp It is exactly the same size as the one I took off the engine. The old one would not start or even pop. I figured it was primer bulb but after taking it apart I saw it was the tiny o ring in center that holds a red plastic jet. It was torn up. Any way, the new carb arrived , I installed it perfectly like old one. now after 10 pumps on bulb I got it to start and run but just at a low sputtering idle. I screwed in the idle screw to heighten the rpms but that didnt help much. next I manually pushed the little plate on top that holds two stiff wires that connect to a pull-back spring and another to an arm thats supposed to rev the engine when needed. when I pushed this plate the engine started reving so high I thought it was going to blow. I released it but it kept revving too high so I turned it off. Retried it and just the same low rpm sputter again. It did this over and over so I just stopped and found this forum. I dont know what to do. does anybody have a picture of the linkage I can look at even though I'm 99% sure I reattached it right. any suggestions appreciated.

kuby123

Forum Newbie
Threads
thanx for the replys. yes that was the tecumseh engine number. I also found a you tube video that showed that I reinstalled one wire to the wrong holes on top of carb. after correcting this, I restarted and all works perfectly now. thanks again