Need to vent about new Raptor SD

gfp55

Threads
Ok, where would you start? Dealer or company?
Take your pick, both are at fault. Company sent Dealer defective machine, dealer did not do their job by not going over machine at dealer prep. I'm not telling anyone what to do and they can do what they see fit, but if it was up to me, I would start a paper trail with both manufacture and dealer so they are at odds with each other about who dropped the ball, instead of them getting together against you to get you to pay for both of their short comes in the manufacture, sale and delivery of the product that you bought. If you are complaining to both one can't say is the others fault at the same time if you get what I mean. You need to get them (manufacturer and dealer) pointing their fingers at each other to make you happy, the customer, the one that bought their problem child. "But thats just me" Good Luck

1striper1

Threads
Your experience with the Raptor sounds like my experience with my "new" Simplicity Prestige, but I had far more problems than you. I saw your post cuz I'm considering a Fastrak SD or XOnei (if I go ZTR + another tractor) to replace the Prestige.

I would start with the dealer (as I did) then also bring Hustler into the loop (as I brought B&S/Simplicity Tech Support into the mix). Be civil and clearly and calmly explain your problems and what you WANT to have happen (i.e. replacement mower). Be firm with what you want I'd bet $100 it gets resolved to your satisfaction.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Nwatson99

Threads
Tell the dealer to give you a new unit put together properly.

Exactly what I would tell them, get me a brand new unit and for them to go over it with a fine tooth comb before releasing it to me.

katit

Threads
Will see what happens. Dealer sounded like he understand what is going on. He asked me to give some time(to let system work) because Hustler asked for VIN and other stuff so he waits on their response.

Missing bolts (small) is an oversight on Dealer part, but deck is questionable. Should they take covers off and tighten pulleys? I don't know. Why wouldn't they rebuild hydros and Kawi motor as well? It's kind of extreme I think.. HD/Lowes customers get them in a crate and assemble themselves. To be honest - I'd rather got it shipped to me by big box store. Then I would do everything myself and wouldn't rely on a dealer. But will see how it turns out.. If Hustler decides to go with repair (most likely) - I'm not 100% I want dealer to do this repair now.. Dealer got info yesterday after hours, contacted Hustler today in a morning and updated me afternoon. I'm not sure if I need to interfere and contact Hustler myself. At least not right now..

gfp55

Threads
Your experience with the Raptor sounds like my experience with my "new" Simplicity Prestige, but I had far more problems than you. I saw your post cuz I'm considering a Raptor SD or XOnei (if I go ZTR + another tractor) to replace the Prestige.

I would start with the dealer (as I did) then also bring Hustler into the loop (as I brought B&S/Simplicity Tech Support into the mix). Be civil and clearly and calmly explain your problems and what you WANT to have happen (i.e. replacement mower). Be firm with what you want I'd bet $100 it gets resolved to your satisfaction.

Good luck!

Exactly what I would tell them, get me a brand new unit and for them to go over it with a fine tooth comb before releasing it to me.

ditto to = 1striper1

ditto to = Nwatson99

Rail5042

Threads
Food for thought. Maybe just maybe the bolts were not missing or loose. They say with any new equipment you find most of your faults within the first couple hours. The vibration from the spindal could be the cause of the bolts loosening. I have a new raptor SD 54 that had a couple issues at first also. The dealer and Hustler took excellent care of me. Give it time its a good machine.

katit

Threads
Yes, I understand everything. Right now dealer ready to pickup mower to get it fixed. However I'd like to get a replacement. Will be talking to Hustler tomorrow and see how it goes. 2 bolts were missing. Seat had 2 full palm grease prints. To me - it's sloppines. I guess I'm picky, but if all they(dealer) do is uncrate and put seat on - why can't they put it so there is no grease on it?? And if they "check" machine - why this bolt right on top was missing?

All I'm saying is that deck also simple mechanically will be easy to screw up. They need to replace spindles. Not sure what is involved, but maybe press? Maybe they need to take deck out for this? Maybe they will use hammer on parts? Maybe they won't align deck properly after that? Are those spindles aluminum and need to be tightenede with torque wrench? All those questions in my head and there is only 2.7hr on meter. How do I know that unit won't come back with overtightened/hammered bearings and won't vibrate, etc?

I just not sure about this stuff, especially after what I got from a factory. Dealer mentioned that unit was assembled couple of weeks ago, they (Hustler) had hard time keeping up with demand. So, why should I deal with their problem?

Anyway.. I afraid it won't work out getting new one but hopefully... Stuff happens, it's just how this issue will be solved.

gatorblade

Threads
Sister just bought a Raptor, Raptor SD was $800 more. I have a 2002 Hustler Z 60". My easy seat adj., easy height adj. easy oil change, ect are missing on the Raptor. I didn't look at the SD to compare. Guess for the extra bucks, something was offered. Dealer said it was normal for the deck to jump up 2" when engauging the blades. I could never be satisfied with the Raptor. They are definitely made to mow small yards. Im just spoiled with the Hustler Z. Cost twice as much but is many times the mower.
Just my 2 cents worth! Gatorblade

Big-Al

Threads
Sorry about all the problems your having with the SD. My unit has been flawless 10.3 hrs so far. Will be changing the break in oil before I mow again. I got mine from a very reputable dealer. I watched the mechanic go over it as I was doing all the paper work. Personally if this were my mower having all these issues. I would ask for a new one.

Big-Al

Threads
Also forgot to add. It's normal to add hydraulic oil to a new mower. After it runs through the filter, hydraulic units and lines. It will take about a 3rd to half quart.