Need some help w/Briggs engine...

Stangracer

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Craftsman M230 push mower with a 7.25 hp OHV Briggs engine... I allowed my neighbor to use the mower this past Saturday and he ran it down to almost empty. I filled it up with gas and began cutting my grass on Sunday... after a couple of rows, about 10 minutes, I noticed the engine was missing and then died. If I let it sit for a couple of minutes it would start back up, start missing and die. I let it sit for about 30 minutes while doing other outdoor chores and came back to it but this time it would not start at all... I believed it was simply trash in the carburetor but did not have time on Sunday to mess with it further.

Today I pulled the carb off and cleaned it up with some carb cleaner. It has a plastic carburetor and from what I can gather from my limited research are famous for being finicky with the slightest bit of trash... I pulled carb today, took it apart and pried the plastic cartridge out of the carb. I shot carb cleaner through all of the passages blew everything out with compressed air.

I put the carb back on and now it will not start at all... I pulled the plug and the plug is wet with fuel.

Unfortunately, I can't pull the starter rope and see the plug at the same time to see if it is getting any fire.

Any ideas or advice will be GREATLY appreciated as my grass is growing FAST!!!

Romore

Threads
Can you give us the model, type, and code off the valve cover so we can see what you are looking at? Sounds like it is flooding.

Stangracer

Forum Newbie
Threads
Romore... thank you for the response...

I took the shield off but can't find any numbers on the valve cover. There is a decal on the flywheel housing that states "725 Series".

My wife arrived home and I had her pull while I watched the plug... it is firing. I put the plug back in and put a shot of starting fluid in the venturi. It will run for a couple of seconds and then die. I pulled the plug back out and it is wet with fuel.

It does seem awfully rich... but I don't believe there is any way to adjust the carburetor.

I don't believe the gas I put in it was bad as I got it a couple of months ago but could that be the problem?

Again, any ideas or advise is GREATLY appreciated.

dougand3

Threads
They'll be a model # somewhere. May be on the block with dot stamping. Eg: 104M02-0021-F1

Stangracer

Forum Newbie
Threads
I found the model#... it is 104 M02 022 3F1

Thanks in advance!!

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Not model number. Look on the plate over the muffler, should be three sets, model, type and code.

Romore

Threads
104M02-022 is a good number. The inlet needle is not seating probably contaminated. Clean it and the tank, if that doesn't solve the problem replace the carburetor. They are not worth spending time on.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Not model number. Look on the plate over the muffler, should be three sets, model, type and code.

104M02-0223-F1 is a valid number for a Chinese made B & S by the looks of it as the owners are listed for all EU languages .

as for Stan,
There are no adjustments on these new EPA carbs
So pull the carb off and check that the main jet housing is in place.
Tip it upside down & blow through the fuel inlet to check that the float needle is closing off the fuel supply .
If you blew it out with compressed air then there is a better than average chance you sent the main jet into a low earth orbit.
We have all done it.
Carbs should always be blown out backwards with low pressure air.

I am a technican and I have a gread deal of problems sorting these carbs out and am leaning towards replacing them rather than attempting a repair.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I’m wrong again, to me it looked like the sales decal number, the way he typed it out. Sorry for the confusion.

Stangracer

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks guys... I will give it another go in the morning.

I appreciate the suggestions and will report back tomorrow with the findings.