Buying Advice Need new lawn mower

Partsman41953

Threads
Hi All,

I think it is time for me to replace my John Deer 14ST lawn mower and have no clue which one to purchase that will be reliable. I have a sloping front yard or around a half acre and really not much of a back yard at all. I am looking for a self propelled mower that mulches and is easy to start. My budget is around $400. I have looked at Craftsman, Toro, Honda, and the John Deere JS36 and just cannot decide which one would be best for my lawn.

I would appreciate any suggestions you could offer.

Thanks.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hi All,

I think it is time for me to replace my John Deer 14ST lawn mower and have no clue which one to purchase that will be reliable. I have a sloping front yard or around a half acre and really not much of a back yard at all. I am looking for a self propelled mower that mulches and is easy to start. My budget is around $400. I have looked at Craftsman, Toro, Honda, and the John Deere JS36 and just cannot decide which one would be best for my lawn.

I would appreciate any suggestions you could offer.

Thanks.
What is wrong with another John Deere. Craftman would be last on my list.

Partsman41953

Threads
I would not have a problem with another John Deere as this one worked like a trooper for all these years but I did have a problem trying to start it all the time. It did last a number of years though. I am just trying to get suggestions on which mower would be better for a sloped lawn as this one was hard to push, even with the self propel, going up the slope.

Glenn

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Other then Craftman all the make mower you are looking at are top brand names. I am a poor one to talk about push mower because I have two Toro's that are so old I don't know how old they are. One of them could use a new set of wheels. I bought them back in the 70's used. Just can't kill them old Toro's so I have no idea how good the newer ones are. As far as steep hills it seems you would want something with a good drive system and maybe someone with more experience then me will help you out on that?

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
Try the toro recycler with ADS (automatic drive system).
Not like a normal variable speed that has 1-3 gears but instead when you push the handles harder the faster you will go.
It will prob come with briggs engine which is by far the best engine ever made.
Dont buy the honda if you are only spending $400. Good honda's are expensive.

Walleteater1

Threads
Other then Craftman all the make mower you are looking at are top brand names. I am a poor one to talk about push mower because I have two Toro's that are so old I don't know how old they are. One of them could use a new set of wheels. I bought them back in the 70's used. Just can't kill them old Toro's so I have no idea how good the newer ones are. As far as steep hills it seems you would want something with a good drive system and maybe someone with more experience then me will help you out on that?

My Neighbor still uses an old Toro push mower like yours, he said it was his mothers and the mower outlived her, I just shake my head at how old and how good it still works.