Need mower with high blade height

DonnyB

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a St. Augastine lawn in Florida that has grown so high my current mower is starting to scalp the grass on the highest setting, which measures 4.5 inches from the garage floor to the cutting edge of the blade. I have slightly over-inflated the tires, but this does not help. My current mower is a riding mower, Troy-Bilt Bronco Automatic that is one year old. My lawn is about a half acre.
I will consider either a riding mower or a self-propelled push mower. By the way, the push mowers that I have researched only have a 3.75 inch max cutting height, although for the lighter push mower, it might not be as big an issue compared to the heavy riding mower.
Any suggestions?

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Cut the grass more often and your problems will be solved.

DonnyB

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am cutting it every 3 to 4 days as it is. Do you think cutting it every other day will help?

retfr8flyr

Threads
Back when I lived in FL, I was told to cut my St. Augastine grass at 2 1/2-3 1/2 inches. The higher cut if the lawn was in shade. I think you should gradually reduce you cut height to about 3 inches and see how that works.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Back when I lived in FL, I was told to cut my St. Augastine grass at 2 1/2-3 1/2 inches. The higher cut if the lawn was in shade. I think you should gradually reduce you cut height to about 3 inches and see how that works.

That's what I would do is get it back down to 3 inches.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have a St. Augastine lawn in Florida that has grown so high my current mower is starting to scalp the grass on the highest setting, which measures 4.5 inches from the garage floor to the cutting edge of the blade. I have slightly over-inflated the tires, but this does not help. My current mower is a riding mower, Troy-Bilt Bronco Automatic that is one year old. My lawn is about a half acre.
I will consider either a riding mower or a self-propelled push mower. By the way, the push mowers that I have researched only have a 3.75 inch max cutting height, although for the lighter push mower, it might not be as big an issue compared to the heavy riding mower.
Any suggestions?

Here in Florida St. Augustine grass should be cut at 3.5 to 4 inches, no shorter unless you want problems. What part of Florida are you in?

possum

Threads
Probly your blades. Broncos need real sharp blades to cut heavy warm season grass and not scalp it. More than likely it has two in one blades and you need 3 in one or as most folk call them mulching blades. Put the MTD mulching blades on it. Keep them sharp or new. And slow down. Way down if needed. It is an art to mow that kind of grass not a race. Two in one and 3 in one is the name MTD uses on them. The crowd has other names and theories but MTD has their own thinking so get their blades. They have them in Lowes. Bronco will cut a very nice yard if you just give it a fighting chance as they are mowing sons a guns. Try the new blades. Keep the deck clean and slow down in that thick grass.

SergioKurba

Threads
Any suggestions?

Your problem has a simple solution. I advise you to buy weed eater on this page, such as Troy-Bilt TB575 EC 29cc 4-Cycle 17-Inch. :smile: This trimmer is worth about $ 200, and you can mow all the grass they simply reducing its height. And then your self-propelled mower to make the level of grass that suits you. :thumbsup: I hope you will succeed! :wink:

DonnyB

Forum Newbie
Threads
I live near Orlando and have lived here almost 2 years. We had the front lawn re-sodded about a year ago. When we first had it installed, it was thick and very lush looking. We have always mowed it on the highest blade setting. Then, we hired a lawn service (fertilizer, bugs, weeds, etc). My theory is that when they fertilized, the root system grew and spread on the surface of the lawn. After that happens, it looks like the area between the ground and the top of the grass, there is more roots and less grass blades. Now, when I cut the lawn, it looks like it's getting scalped. In fact, if I even could find a mower with a higher blade height, the roots would just expand and I would still have the problem.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Maybe you need to de thatch the yard.
Could be the grass clippings have made a new bed.