Need location of oil filter and manual for B&S 21R707-0143 F1 on Hustler Dash 34?

NobleFarmer

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Need location of oil filter and manual for B&S 21R707-0143 F1 on Hustler Dash 34?
I'm not able to find a manual or parts spec online that shows where the oil filter is on this engine 21R707-0143-F1, if there is any.
Official site doesn't find any manuals for my model even though the store sells the engine model, other sites only have some diagrams but I couldn't find one regarding the oil filter, and this forum only had a few posts about 21R707 which didn't cover this topic or have a manual link.

The prior owner left a part (491056) that I thought was meant for Briggs & Stratton engines, so I thought I'd try to install that. I took off the top housing and disconnected the gas can, and still can't find it.

Any suggestions? Housing bolt in back right was the worst because of how close it is to the frame, couldn't get a socket set behind it, had to use a manual wrench for most of it!

Anyways, I'm trying to replace the oil filter since it's been a full season since I took ownership of it, and it's blowing lots of white smoke even after an oil change (SAE 10W30, and some SAE 5W30, both full synthetic), and doesnt sound good or move well. Air filter is fairly new & clean with only 20 hours on it, and replaced the fuel pump & fuel filter 10 hours before that. I only put ethanol free gas in it.

20240413_184546.jpg

20240413_183741.jpg

20240413_184655.jpg

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

NobleFarmer

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Need location of oil filter and manual for B&S 21R707-0143 F1 on Hustler Dash 34?
That engine does not have an oil filter.

Thanks for confirming - Huh, then that's weird that the Hustler manuals for my Dash specifically say there's an oil filter to change and shows a picture of one, but doesnt say which motor it was. I guess it just doesn't differentiate between the different engines they put in that model, whereas they did in my Hustler Raptor SD 48. It had at least one section where they showed how each engine maker (Kawasaki and Briggs) and their most important parts were positioned relative to the mower's frame & other parts.

In any case, any suggestions for troubleshooting the white smoke aside from what ive already tried? Could too much oil or mixed oils cause this? I thought I saw it near full and not over the full mark on the dip stick, but the oil is so clear that it's not as obvious as older oil. I'm afraid to drive it much at all in case there's a more serious engine or carb issue.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
The Briggs single cylinder Intek engine such as your has a history of blowing the head gasket between the cylinder wall and the push rod cavity

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The cheap & nasty check for blown head gaskets is to run the engine for 5 minutes, turn it off then pull the dipstick out
If you get white smoke coming out of the tube the head gasket is gone
As Illingne said, a very common problem with all intek singles I do about 6 or so a year.
No specific manual for your engine but the B & S single cylinder OHV manual covers it but the book is a little confusing because it covers them all .
Taryl Fixes All on you tube did a really good video on replacing the head gasket without doing a lot more work than is needed
The only thing he missed was to jack up the mower so the head is high which will stop oil pouring out .
On your mower that eye bold will have to come out as well

NobleFarmer

Forum Newbie
Threads
The cheap & nasty check for blown head gaskets is to run the engine for 5 minutes, turn it off then pull the dipstick out
If you get white smoke coming out of the tube the head gasket is gone
As Illingne said, a very common problem with all intek singles I do about 6 or so a year.

Will try that, thanks.

No specific manual for your engine but the B & S single cylinder OHV manual covers it but the book is a little confusing because it covers them all .
Taryl Fixes All on you tube did a really good video on replacing the head gasket without doing a lot more work than is needed
The only thing he missed was to jack up the mower so the head is high which will stop oil pouring out .
On your mower that eye bold will have to come out as well

Ah, will look for that general manual then.

If it turns out I dont have the time to DIY this as soon as I'd want, I assume the labor would be in the hundreds of dollars as opposed to $1000+?

The last video I watched was Taryl's electrical guide for dummies, which was a great supplement to another video on testing the whole ignition wiring end to end. So his head gasket video turns out to be no exception.