need ideas

daano

Forum Newbie
Threads
I bought a x748 last fall. after using it for a bit discovered 4 wheel drive not working. found lines to front drive disconnected and joined together. now the weather has warmed up I reconnected the line now power steering is very stiff and I don't have reverse. anybody hav any ideas ??

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Return X748 to Dealer for proper repairs, making it right while still under Warranty. Do not drive tractor, ask them to come pick it up. Air is in both transmission & power steering systems. Both systems fluid levels are low, possibly contaminated, thus driving could burn up transmission & power steering units. Dealer should have serviced tractor completely before putting on show room floor. Make sure you talk to Owner & explain situation. Keep us informed, thanks, Mark

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The hydraulic pump has failed or there is a blockage in the system or a major leak so the oil level is too low.
Basically the previous owner had a fault, they bodged the mower so the unsuspecting ( you ) would not notice .
So to be blunt, you got shafted by a non human that the planet would be better off if he was no longer drawing breath.
As you probably paid a lot of money for the unit you either will need to get it fixed or on sell it as a faulty mower because you are an honest person.
You can get the JD technical manual for your mower which is worth 3 times as much as JD charge which will show you how to correctly diagnose the problem & fix the mower .
If nothing else selling the mower with the technical manual will bring a lot more money than selling it without one.
When I sell a JD I always include a printed & spiral bound Tech manual with it
They always sell in a day & many times sight unseen and always for a lot more than similar mowers are advertised for .
The important thing is to find out what the problem is so you don't do more damage
It could be nothing more than a leaking seal has allowed the oil level to drop so when you all the extra oil ( well subtract actually ) needed to drive the front wheels there is no longer enough oil in the system to power everything

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Return X748 to Dealer for proper repairs, making it right while still under Warranty. Do not drive tractor, ask them to come pick it up. Air is in both transmission & power steering systems. Both systems fluid levels are low, thus driving could burn up transmission & power steering units. Dealer should have serviced tractor completely before putting on show room floor. Make sure you talk to Owner & explain situation. Keep us informed, thanks, Mark
Mark according to TractorData.com , the X748 was 2008 to 2012 so it is a used , probably very well used mower not a new one under warranty .
OTOH if it was bought from a used mower dealer then Danno has the right to a refund if the faults were not disclosed at the time of purchase .

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I think the 748 is very similar to the 729. I have done some hydraulic work on a 729. The entire tractor is hydro. If the rear wheels drive the hydro pump is probably OK. I would change ALL the hydro fluid. Instructions how are in the online owners manual under maintenance. Like 4 different drain plugs and a couple gallons of fluid. The hydraulic system is fairly complex but if i remember correctly the steering is separate from the drive. The block on the bottom of the steering shaft has 5 hydraulic lines connected to it. Were the lines that were disconnected go this block? Nothing in the hydro/drive on the tractor is cheap.