Need Help

nyyfan

Forum Newbie
Threads
(I have also posted this in the Ariens/Gravely page. Sorry for the repeat, just looking for advice.)

Hi all, I am currently looking to pull the trigger in the next couple days on a new ZTR lawnmower and I am looking for some help from those that know.

I currently have a little more than a 1/2 acre to mow and it is pretty flat. Not to many obstacles to mow around yet but we have big plans for flower beds and trees to plant so I really like the zero turns and have narrowed it down to an Ariens or Gravely mower.

Here is what I have narrowed it down to.
I have gotten a good price on a Gravely 1734 mower with the Kohler 17hp mower which was used once then returned since they had some hills it did not do well with.

Next is a new Ariens 22 hp twin kohler courage motor 42 in cutting deck.

Last option is a Ariens 1840 with the 18.5 briggs motor on it.

I really like both, and if I go with the Ariens with the 22hp 42in deck, I can get if from a local shop where I would like to use for service in the future. The other Ariens and Gravely are from a dealer in Massachusetts, and I will still plan on using the local dealer for service. My dilema is I have read some reviews on the web about some problems with kohler engines in the past. What is everyones take on Kohler engines, both the 17hp and the 22hp twin? Are there any problems to look out for? When I was at another dealer, who happened to be a exmark dealer I spoke with a mechanic that said to stay away from kohler motors and if possible go with a kawasaki. Unfortunatley the kawasaki is not offered in the models I am looking at so it's gonna have to be kohler or briggs. I have also heard that even though both mowers are made by Ariens/Gravely, that the Gravely is the better machine. Is this true?

Thanks in advance for any posts and advice.
Nyyfan

AndySKane

Threads
I've had two Kohler engines.

The first was a 16 hp Kohler magnum in a 1988 Ariens HT tractor. I had it for 17 years and had no problems with the engine. The tractor had a hood, no side panels, and no shrouding on the engine.

The second was a 20 hp Kohler Command in a 2002 Cub Cadet 2518. The cub has a full hood and side panels around the engine and the engine itself has a lot of shrouding to direct air for cooling. The shrouding is a home for mouse nests and blown in grass and constantly needs cleaning which I am not particularly vigilant at. I found that the engine runs hot even when all the shrouds are clean and overheats too easily when not clean. I don't know if this is a fault of the engine mfg. or a design flaw of this Cub model.

I recently bought a new Ferris ZTR and in my search I avoided anything that had full shrouding and anything that might have obstructed air flow through and around the engine.

Last edited:

KeithAlbert

Threads
Both motors are good but I would have to say the Kawasaki is better. I've had both. Never had a problem with Kohler but the Kawasaki uses far less fuel and is rated to run more hours before expected rebuild. For your size lot the Benefit of a Kawasaki would not be noticed. So look at the machines themselves and buy the one you like better.