Need Help with

TonyR

Threads
My drive belt. I have a 96 Murray 12hp/38" and am having trouble keeping my belt on. After it kept slinging off I noticed the top pulley a good bit of play it it. Is this normal to have play in it? The belt looks good so I'm thinking a wobbling pulley can't be good. :laughing:

Any help will be appreciated.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I am assuming tranny drive belt here. You just said top pulley, is that the engine pulley or the tranny pulley. Engine pulley should have no wobble. If it is the tranny pulley, there could be some wear where it connects to the input shaft of the tranny. excessive movement could be part of the problem. You didn't say which pulley the belt is coming off of. If it is getting flung off the tranny pulley, make sure that the support bracket on the front corner of the tranny hasn't come loose. if that bolt is missing, will allow tranny to tilt throwing of the belt.

TonyR

Threads
I am assuming tranny drive belt here. You just said top pulley, is that the engine pulley or the tranny pulley. Engine pulley should have no wobble. If it is the tranny pulley, there could be some wear where it connects to the input shaft of the tranny. excessive movement could be part of the problem. You didn't say which pulley the belt is coming off of. If it is getting flung off the tranny pulley, make sure that the support bracket on the front corner of the tranny hasn't come loose. if that bolt is missing, will allow tranny to tilt throwing of the belt.

Sorry, I should've made that clearer. Yes it's the tranny pulley- when she come off- it don't go! Lol. Is it the bracket where you adjust the brakes? I'll try to see if a bolt is missing.

Thanks

TonyR

Threads
It is the pulley on top of the transaxle. I can wiggle it up and down, probably 1/4" or more of play.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sorry, I should've made that clearer. Yes it's the tranny pulley- when she come off- it don't go! Lol. Is it the bracket where you adjust the brakes? I'll try to see if a bolt is missing.

Thanks

The bracket that I am talking about is a flat plate on the front corner side of the tranny. Some have one on each side of the tranny. 1/4 inch play is not uncommon, with wear. Could be part of the problem though. that movement can't be good on the tranny shaft, or the spines in the pulley.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
The problem is the idler sheave flopping around because of a worn pivot point. It's the one that tensions the belt when the clutch is engaged, if this tractor is gear drive. Being careful, set brake and chock a wheel then temporarily check it by putting the transmission in neutral, starting it, engage the clutch and increase engine speed to high idle. Get off and look under the mower to watch the belt action.

If you need more free advise don't delay. It's looking as if I may not be around much longer. 0ーF

TonyR

Threads
The problem is the idler sheave flopping around because of a worn pivot point. It's the one that tensions the belt when the clutch is engaged, if this tractor is gear drive. Being careful, set brake and chock a wheel then temporarily check it by putting the transmission in neutral, starting it, engage the clutch and increase engine speed to high idle. Get off and look under the mower to watch the belt action.

If you need more free advise don't delay. It's looking as if I may not be around much longer. 0ーF

Yes I will check it. Seems like it didn't start until I tried to adjust the brakes since it didn't have none when I bought it. But I'm sure that don't have nothing to do with it. I hope ya get to feeling better.

Thanks

TonyR

Threads
The bracket that I am talking about is a flat plate on the front corner side of the tranny. Some have one on each side of the tranny. 1/4 inch play is not uncommon, with wear. Could be part of the problem though. that movement can't be good on the tranny shaft, or the spines in the pulley.

So if my head is at the blades looking back at the tranny, it'll be on either corner or both?
Thanks

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
So if my head is at the blades looking back at the tranny, it'll be on either corner or both?
Thanks

Most common location is the left side if you are sitting on the seat, at the front corner, but I have seen them on both sides. Some may be on the right side, at the same location as the left.