Need help with the art/science of a excellent cut

chemingthroughtheleather

Threads
My history with a Z mower is limited so I come to you seeking wisdom.Any tips you could share about mowing style,etc.A basic might be just how do you line up the mower wheels with previous passes.I'm trying to learn the basics here and not ashamed to admit it!

JohnCardin

Threads
With my fesuce, it's mostly open and as I'm cutting at 3.5-4" during the warmer season (here in georgia) I usually can cut pretty easy. I start out at a "corner" of the property, find a point at the opposite end of the property and keep my eyes fixed on it and drive towards it. That usually sets the precedent for the rest of the passes. Then I'll usually line up the inside of the front tire with the cut line of the previous pass so I get good coverage. I'll usually go back and forth to get that "striping" effect.

I usually will cut the edge first going clockwise around the turf (blowing the clippings into the yard and not into the beads) twice and then start to the main mowing.

Now I'll get a little creative sometime and try different patters, (circles, squares, triangles, zig zags, spirals) just for giggles if I have the time. It takes longer but it gives me something different to look at.

For my front yard which is pretty small, slightly sloped, and irregular builder grade bermuda it's a little harder to mow with a bigger deck and at a short height. For me it the trick was doing it wrong (accidental scalping at the wrong height, blade gouges when turning, tires tearing up the grass when spinning, letting the mower idle over the grass for a period of time), once or twice and learning what not to do on that turf. Once I learned to raise the deck a little when turning around (foot deck lever FTW!) or when going from a flat to an angled surface, the cut quality went up. Also I slowed down when turning. It's not perfect and doesn't look as good as when I used a 18" push mower but It looks good enough.

In a perfect world, I'd still be push mowing the bermuda with a 18" deck and using a huge 72" deck for the fescue. I just don't have the time/space/money for that.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
With my fesuce, it's mostly open and as I'm cutting at 3.5-4" during the warmer season (here in georgia) I usually can cut pretty easy. I start out at a "corner" of the property, find a point at the opposite end of the property and keep my eyes fixed on it and drive towards it. That usually sets the precedent for the rest of the passes. Then I'll usually line up the inside of the front tire with the cut line of the previous pass so I get good coverage. I'll usually go back and forth to get that "striping" effect.

I usually will cut the edge first going clockwise around the turf (blowing the clippings into the yard and not into the beads) twice and then start to the main mowing.

Now I'll get a little creative sometime and try different patters, (circles, squares, triangles, zig zags, spirals) just for giggles if I have the time. It takes longer but it gives me something different to look at.

For my front yard which is pretty small, slightly sloped, and irregular builder grade bermuda it's a little harder to mow with a bigger deck and at a short height. For me it the trick was doing it wrong (accidental scalping at the wrong height, blade gouges when turning, tires tearing up the grass when spinning, letting the mower idle over the grass for a period of time), once or twice and learning what not to do on that turf. Once I learned to raise the deck a little when turning around (foot deck lever FTW!) or when going from a flat to an angled surface, the cut quality went up. Also I slowed down when turning. It's not perfect and doesn't look as good as when I used a 18" push mower but It looks good enough.

In a perfect world, I'd still be push mowing the bermuda with a 18" deck and using a huge 72" deck for the fescue. I just don't have the time/space/money for that.

Excellent advice to the OP on cutting patterns!!! A little advice to you....you could disregard any worry about direction(clippings discharged into flower beds, etc) if you added a complete mulching kit for that ZTR(discharge cover, vacuum baffles and mulch blades). Best accessory I've bought for my ZTR(goodbye grass clippings:0)

Also, I don't know how your ZTR's deck came pitched(most are leveled with front blade tip slightly lower than the read blade tip) but if you want an even more pronounced striping effect try heeling the deck(set the outside blade tips(blades facing East/West) same distance from pavement, then set the rear blade tips(blades facing North/South) slightly lower than the front(usually 1/8" to 1/4"). This will slightly improve your striping.

I'm ready to try some different patterns too. You may want to sit down and draw some out on paper, then work your cutting pattern from there. Hey, noticed your comment about burning grass and making divots(tearing up grass when spinning...so you slowed down when turning). If you have a new Raptor, many users with the "burning grass" problem are getting their dealers to order/install a muffler shield at no cost under Warranty. You should check with your dealer on that.

And for avoiding divots in your lawn there are two methods to correct this.....(1)if you are attempting a "zero turn in place", the trick is to push one control lever slightly forward while simultaneously pulling slightly back on the opposite side's lever(the trick is for both tires to move in opposite directions...if one stays stationary, the twisting turn will tear up the turf) and method(2) is to master a "Y turn" where, at the end of your run, push one side a little farther than the other turning that direction and stopping at "the top peak of a "Y", then pull both control levers back with twice the distance on the side opposite of the side you pushed more forward before which will make a "U" shaped turn, then stop at the peak of that turn and you should be pointed in the opposite direction ready to mow the next pass. Just keep a "Y" in you mind with the top part of the letter shaped more like a "U" and you'll get accustomed to turning around that way. I changed to that and haven't left any divots since. These ZTR's take some practice and trial & error to drive:0)