Need help choosing a strong pulling self propelled mower ...

dave27614

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Need help choosing a strong pulling self propelled mower ...
Howdy folks,
I recently moved from a home with .3 acres to one with 1.4 acres. Maybe a bit over .5 acres on the new lot is grass and my old electric isn't going to "cut" it anymore.

Even though a big riding mower seems like overkill to me, I'd probably get one if I didn't have about a 200' long stretch at the front that's fairly steep (maybe too steep for a rider).

I actually did purchase a Toro 20332 (with the personal pace system) and it wouldn't pull itself out of a wet paper bag. So back it went.

I know the big, wide walk behinds pull their own weight, but is there a 21,22,23" cut mower (just a regular self propelled) that will strongly pull itself up a 25 - 30 degree slope?

Thx for the assist.

benski

Threads
The Honda Commercial mowers will do it.:eek: I've also had pretty good luck with my cub cadet, 5-speed self-propelled with the Kawasaki engine. They are available used in the $200.00 range. If money isn't an issue, take a look at the Ventrac mowers. They'll do a 30* slope up and down, and across!

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Howdy folks,
I recently moved from a home with .3 acres to one with 1.4 acres. Maybe a bit over .5 acres on the new lot is grass and my old electric isn't going to "cut" it anymore.

Even though a big riding mower seems like overkill to me, I'd probably get one if I didn't have about a 200' long stretch at the front that's fairly steep (maybe too steep for a rider).

I actually did purchase a Toro 20332 (with the personal pace system) and it wouldn't pull itself out of a wet paper bag. So back it went.

I know the big, wide walk behinds pull their own weight, but is there a 21,22,23" cut mower (just a regular self propelled) that will strongly pull itself up a 25 - 30 degree slope?

Thx for the assist.

How big (square footage) is the slope? That is STEEP, 25 to 30 degrees !!! It is recommended you do NOT mow up and down a slope, but lengthwise, for safety reasons. The roadfront culvert out front and my barn slope are about 18 degrees, and my two front drive push mowers (173cc and 190cc) have more than ample power to get up the slope of either as long as they have enough traction. I need to raise the handlebars going up to give the front wheels enough "bite" but I don't think power is your problem, it will be traction, and possibly oil starvation to the engine because of the slope. Does anybody else here know the maximum recommended slope for a push mower splash oiling system?

dave27614

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well, I just went out and ran the math. I'm coming-up with a 23 degree slope. Not quite as bad as I guessed, but it looks steep to me.

Will that kind of slope roll a lawn tractor?

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Well, I just went out and ran the math. I'm coming-up with a 23 degree slope. Not quite as bad as I guessed, but it looks steep to me.

Will that kind of slope roll a lawn tractor?

You can roll a lawn tractor on level ground by doing something stupid !!!!

dave27614

Forum Newbie
Threads
Just to clarify ... I'm talking about mowing as a side slope with the tractor.

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Just to clarify ... I'm talking about mowing as a side slope with the tractor.

Lot of variables, width of the lawn tractor, overall weight and height, weight of operator, width of deck, tire size...you get the idea. Impossible to predict the exact angle. My JD is a CUT, I sit high, the deck is wide, but because of the height I sit at any grade over 15 degrees makes me VERY uncomfortable because I have no idea what the maximum is. It may go to 25, 30 degrees before tipping, even with a ROPS and seat belt I do not want to learn the maximum. I may be wrong, but because a lawn tractor is light and has such small tires, the tires may slide downhill long before the tip over point is reached.

benski

Threads
You can roll an average riding mower on a 25* slope, under the right conditions.:eek::frown: Where your CG is located, track width,heading, speed, etc., are obviously some of the variables that come to mind. I have absolutely no affiliation with Ventrac, nor do I even own one :frown:, but do take a look at the video link you can find here on the forum. Other than that, I just recommend caution, and a good "seat of the pants" feel.:thumbsup:

dave27614

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm sure the Ventracs are nice, but no way I'm spending that kind of scratch on a lawn mower (I saw a used on another site for $17.5k).

Maybe one of the wide area walk behinds is what I'm going to have to go with.

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
You can roll an average riding mower on a 25* slope, under the right conditions.:eek::frown: Where your CG is located, track width,heading, speed, etc., are obviously some of the variables that come to mind. I have absolutely no affiliation with Ventrac, nor do I even own one :frown:, but do take a look at the video link you can find here on the forum. Other than that, I just recommend caution, and a good "seat of the pants" feel.:thumbsup:

Over on TBN, the members talk about "seat of the pants feel" as the "pucker factor"....:laughing::eek: