Comparison Need advise or maybe therapy?

Howdy Doody

Threads
I have a used 38" Poulan model 15538LT. Very basic mower and this is my first riding mower. Purchased it to not only do my 1/2 acre yard on the hot Texas weather, but I also help some of my neighbors mow their yards since they are elderly and can not get out much so I do it or free. I purchased it used for $450 and it is about a 2005 model. Since it has no hour meter, I have no idea how long it has been run or how it was run or have any maintenance history. That being said, I took along a buddy who is a "Mower Head" and he gave me his blessing as in "good running condition". So far, it has run just fine and I have only run it about 10-15 hours total. So far, it has been flawless and has not given me any trouble at all and runs really good. The problem I am having is I can't stop "tinkering" with it. I am constantly buying parts for it that it does not really need, they are just worn looking or rusted or did not come with the mower. I did do a basic PM on it when I first purchased it, i.e oil and filter, air filter and blades. The first thing I did was clean it up top to bottom and found lots of old grass mixes with dirt under and behind the gas tank, jammed on top of the deck and also on top of the transmission. The second thing I did was add anti-scalp wheels and brackets and installed them on the rear part of the deck. Second thing I did was cut out a hole to install a factory cup holder since this model did not come with one. Changed out some of the decals, oil change valve, gear shift insert...Now I am contemplating taking off the deck and re-painting it, maybe taking off the body panels and repainting them a different color, adding wheel covers, custom steering wheel... I guess the main question I have to ask is am I being dumb tinkering with this cheap mower so much? Honest opinions!

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Naw!!! It is natural!!!!

You need to install a full roll bar with shade top, so you can hang the fuzzy dice too!!!

I have had customers want me to upgrade their charging system so that they could run lights and appliances!!!

Howdy Doody

Threads
Naw!!! It is natural!!!!

You need to install a full roll bar with shade top, so you can hang the fuzzy dice too!!!

I have had customers want me to upgrade their charging system so that they could run lights and appliances!!!

Whew, thanks for your support! Now if the boss lady will cooperate with my plans! Any idea where I can get wheel covers in different colors?

Threads