Need Advice Before I Ruin Something

BigNutz

Threads
So, I have a pressure washer that I am rebuilding, the engine is one of the B&S 3.75 HP standard vertical shafts, nothing special about it to cause it to be a pain.....except one thing. Anything that was exposed to the elements that could corrode has corroded, 99% of which is surface corrosion. Plus the paint is all nasty (Labels too, which I discussed in a previous post), so I have been using a 6" brass brush wheel on a bench grinder and various brass brushes on a drill. The problem is all the nooks and crannies, I intend on repainting so I want it all off.

So I go out and get myself a nice new bead blaster. Now just like anyone with a cool new toy, I want the bead blast the hell out of everything in site. Limiting myself to the engine I am working on right now, if it has something like carbon or rust is covering the metal, I want to blast it!

So here's my question for those of you with lots more experience than me (probably 99.9%): What can I and can't I use the bead blaster on? I decided on 80 Grit glass beads based on some other discussion forums I read that stated that medium was safe for aluminum, but wanted to check here. I know I won't be going near the piston or the cylinder walls, but can I clean the head of all the carbon? The flywheel is very corroded, and the fins are impossible to reach with any type of brush; is it normal clean it with a bead blaster?

Any suggestions or help will be very appreciated. I will NOT get butt-hurt if you tell me I'm an idiot either, just trying to learn without breaking too much. (Already learned the hard way not to remove flywheels with 2-pronged gear pullers----CRACK!)

Thanks,

BN

BigNutz

Threads
Thanks Mark! Dude, I gotta say, you crack me up! You always reply with a link to Google results, as to say "Why, why must they ask these questions of us when it is a simple Google Search away?" And then sigh as you paste the link in. :drink:

gfp55

Threads
Thanks Mark! Dude, I gotta say, you crack me up! You always reply with a link to Google results, as to say "Why, why must they ask these questions of us when it is a simple Google Search away?" And then sigh as you paste the link in. :drink:

Thats cool you let Mark know that you appreciate his effort.
He is the go to guy with the info. If there is a topic on this forum that needs info he just post a link for it and you do the rest, its great. I am running out of memory on my computer with just a fraction of the stuff Mark has provided. He's the greatest. Thank You Mark for all the hard work and the information you provide. gfp55

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Thats cool you let Mark know that you appreciate his effort.
He is the go to guy with the info. If there is a topic on this forum that needs info he just post a link for it and you do the rest, its great. I am running out of memory on my computer with just a fraction of the stuff Mark has provided. He's the greatest. Thank You Mark for all the hard work and the information you provide. gfp55

I agree, mark is the GO-TO guy , really has the info. and willing to share...... MAYBE he grew up with Steve Jobs & Bill Gates ??? ( LOL ) :thumbsup: Boobala