Need a riding mower...1 acre, hilly and steep inclines

Elusiv

Threads
  • / Need a riding mower...1 acre, hilly and steep inclines
I can pick up a last year's model yta24v48 for $1600 (-$400 list). I'm definitely leaning towards getting it. Thoughts?

Elusiv

Threads
ended up buying it. got another $100 and went ahead and made the purchase. $1,588 for the yta24v48 out the door.

Pumper54

Threads
If you still have the old mower, you might think about replacing the transmission on it and using it as a "run around" tractor to do the stuff you don't want to do with the new mower. Not sure how much a new tranny would run you but I bet it would only be a couple hundred max.

Tom

Elusiv

Threads
...already on craigslist...selling for parts.

Elusiv

Threads
Guess some deals are too good to be true. Unit showed up with a flat tire and "as is" stamped all over the paperwork. Refused delivery. Looks like I am back to shopping.

Elusiv

Threads
So I'm trying to narrow the options a bit. Seems like I keep leaning towards Husqvarna and will buy it from an authorized dealer (my experience with Lowes yesterday drove that home).

The two main models I am considering are:
1) YTA24v48 - Transmission is from General Transmission (Fast CVT), B&S Engine Intek, max speed 7.5 mph, this one also has nose rollers, greasable mandrels and 4 antiscalp wheels, seat with armrests

2) YTH18k46 - Turff Torg k46 transmission, Kawasaki Engine FR Series, max speed 5.5 mph, does not have nose rollers, greasable mandrels, has 2 antiscalp wheels, no armrests

When I was looking through some of this, I also looked at the comparable cub cadet model(s). The XT2 Lx46 seemed to be the closest. Kohler engine vtwin 7000 series, quick release deck, wider turn radius, nice seat. But with all the MTD comments I kinda dismissed them (not sure if it matters at this price point).

My gut tells me the Kawasaki engine is probably better than the B&S. Transmission wise...the Fast CVT may be better (not sure but there were lots of negatives of the tuff torq).

Craftsman seems to be priced about +$200-$400 on comparable equipment. People said to steer clear of JD. And authorized non-box store dealers...I'm only finding Cub Cadet and Husqvarna close by.

Thoughts?

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
YTA24v48 looks like the best deal to me.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Still I would go with the cub.
I have never heard of any mower made by mtd have a transaxle fail.

I love their drive set up.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I did have a husquvara yth 24-48 and loved it
But that was years ago when they still made mowers to last

jimpc

Forum Newbie
Threads
So I'm trying to narrow the options a bit. Seems like I keep leaning towards Husqvarna and will buy it from an authorized dealer (my experience with Lowes yesterday drove that home).

The two main models I am considering are:
1) YTA24v48 - Transmission is from General Transmission (Fast CVT), B&S Engine Intek, max speed 7.5 mph, this one also has nose rollers, greasable mandrels and 4 antiscalp wheels, seat with armrests

2) YTH18k46 - Turff Torg k46 transmission, Kawasaki Engine FR Series, max speed 5.5 mph, does not have nose rollers, greasable mandrels, has 2 antiscalp wheels, no armrests

When I was looking through some of this, I also looked at the comparable cub cadet model(s). The XT2 Lx46 seemed to be the closest. Kohler engine vtwin 7000 series, quick release deck, wider turn radius, nice seat. But with all the MTD comments I kinda dismissed them (not sure if it matters at this price point).

My gut tells me the Kawasaki engine is probably better than the B&S. Transmission wise...the Fast CVT may be better (not sure but there were lots of negatives of the tuff torq).

Craftsman seems to be priced about +$200-$400 on comparable equipment. People said to steer clear of JD. And authorized non-box store dealers...I'm only finding Cub Cadet and Husqvarna close by.

Thoughts?

The 48" is available at Lowe's. Here's a link to a 10% off coupon. If the one that propagates doesn't work just refresh the page. The guys figured out Lowe's algorithm for their coupons.

http://renovopower.com/lowes10percent.php

Also, crafstmans are up to 25% off right now. The pricing stacks with the 10% off coupons you can get on ebay for about 10 bucks.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-off-your...988087?hash=item2ef28f86f7:g:TJIAAOSwy5ZXCdwF

Just some food for thought.

I happen to have a YT42DXLS Kawasaki variant on order. Dealer only but he gave me a price of $2399 which no one else would touch.