Need 3011X5S year and battery info

CajunMan89

Threads
I found a decent 3011X5S today, and I'm hoping it doesn't require much to get going. There isn't a battery on it, and since I'm not an expert on the required CCA, could someone tell me what the CCA would be for the 12 volt battery that I need?

Can anyone tell me how old it is?

It seems to have been stored well, without fuel and full of oil. Since the pull start needs work, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it will run. I've been wanting one of these since I was a kid since I learned how to cut on one, and thought it was worth the gamble.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

snapper3.jpg

snapper2.jpgIMG_20240326_200542240~2.jpg

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Any 12 volt lawnmower style battery will be sufficient as far as CCA. The more important thing know is what position do the battery terminals need to be to connect the battery wires. Meaning Left hand or Right hand positive. Which refers to what side is the positive terminal on if you hold the battery terminals toward your chest.

If the positive battery cable is toward the center of the mower. A right hand battery will put the positive post toward the rear of the mower. A left hand positive will put the positive terminal toward the front of the mower. What position will allow the battery cable to connect and/or not hit the frame causing a short.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
When searching the first thing mentioned is what ILENGINE said . CCA can range between 145 -300
and we may as well chose something close to 300

CajunMan89

Threads
Thank you! I'll pick up a right hand battery then. I'll also try to find a bungee cord or something to keep it from moving.

Is there a chart or something for me to find out when this mower was manufactured?

snapper4.jpg

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
I found an owners manual for that model dated for 1986, and from the 6 on the serial number that is probably about right. You can look at the model,type,code on the briggs engine and the first two digits of the code will be the year of the engine. Don't guarantee that is the original engine but you never know.

Mow Joe

Threads
This mower is a series 5 and from about the mid '80s. The engine appears original. The first two digits in the code # dictate what year the engine was made. Most likely the same year as the mower or the previous year.