My zero turn makes my shoulders ache

Threads
Greetings and thank you for welcoming me to your forum.

My 16 year old Toro zero turn and my shoulders are no longer compatible. I anticipate having to replace it and am looking for something that is easier on my aging shoulders. A smoother ride would be a bonus. I'm mowing about 2.5 acres with lots of trees and a few hills. I'd like to stick with a zero turn, but one that's more ergonomically designed. Perhaps something that has more support for my arms. I have several pine trees and bushes so being able to more easily mow under low branches would be great, but not a must have.

I'd appreciate feedback from anyone who knows of a mower that will fit my needs.

Thank you! 🙂
Welcome Longarm:
I am 72 and have osteoarthritis in my fingers, wrists and left shoulder, as well as in my lower spine. I also have a reverse shoulder replacement of my right shoulder (titanium), so I feel you. My Husky YT42DXLS eventually became so painful to steer (in addition to severe and recurrent tranny problems) that I got rid of it. Because I was advised that a 0-turn would actually be dangerous (little weight in the front) for mowing my 1.5 acre yard and field due to the fact that about 25% of the field is quite steep, rocky and unlevel, I did some research and bought a Deere X-370 and added armrests, bumper and two 45# weights on the rear. But most importantly, this machine has hydraulic power steering - what a joy!!! No pain . . . And the turning radius is amazing - next best thing to the mobility of a 0-turn and doesn't require both arms to be up in the air or both hands to steer. I love it! It was pricey at 6K+ with options, but it's a gem nonetheless. I don't know if you're set on a 0-turn, but if not at least check the X-370 out. The power steering and hydraulic deck lift are standard. Go to a JD dealer and putz around on one. Mine is a 42 in. cut, and that may not be to your liking, but I would suggest you at least look into it. You won't need weights, but for me they substituted for the auto-locking differential I sacrificed when I sold the Husky.

Longarm

Forum Newbie
Threads
Welcome Longarm:
I am 72 and have osteoarthritis in my fingers, wrists and left shoulder, as well as in my lower spine. I also have a reverse shoulder replacement of my right shoulder (titanium), so I feel you. My Husky YT42DXLS eventually became so painful to steer (in addition to severe and recurrent tranny problems) that I got rid of it. Because I was advised that a 0-turn would actually be dangerous (little weight in the front) for mowing my 1.5 acre yard and field due to the fact that about 25% of the field is quite steep, rocky and unlevel, I did some research and bought a Deere X-370 and added armrests, bumper and two 45# weights on the rear. But most importantly, this machine has hydraulic power steering - what a joy!!! No pain . . . And the turning radius is amazing - next best thing to the mobility of a 0-turn and doesn't require both arms to be up in the air or both hands to steer. I love it! It was pricey at 6K+ with options, but it's a gem nonetheless. I don't know if you're set on a 0-turn, but if not at least check the X-370 out. The power steering and hydraulic deck lift are standard. Go to a JD dealer and putz around on one. Mine is a 42 in. cut, and that may not be to your liking, but I would suggest you at least look into it. You won't need weights, but for me they substituted for the auto-locking differential I sacrificed when I sold the Husky.
Thank you so much for your input! I was a bit surprised that nobody here mentioned John Deere until now. If I go to a dealership to look at their zero turns, I'll check out the X-370.