My yard has a lot of shade

Pika

Threads
We have a big pine tree in the front yard and about eight trees in the back yard, resulting in a lot of shade (and a lot of mud!). What can I put under the trees that will grow well in shade - or should I just mulch around them for 3-4 feet?

Kryten

Threads
Does the area get any sunlight at all, at any time during the day? If not, you will really struggle to get anything to grow. If it gets a little sunlight at some point in the day there are low light grasses and other plants.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
We have a big pine tree in the front yard

Enjoy that big Pine while you have it...If your area is anything like around here, the pine trees are almost all gone. They die and just brown out...

The grass you need has to be a shade grass for around the trees but directly under them there is not much to choose from... KennyV

Hershey

Threads
I envy the shade. We used to have a lot of trees and for one reason or another, down they've gone. We've missed not only their beauty but that wonderful shade.

173abn

Threads
might try Hostas,russ

Pika

Threads
Most of it does get sunlight either early in the morning or late in the evening. As for the pine, we have been talking about having it removed at some point due to the possibility of it breaking and hitting the house (it is BIG). We do enjoy the shade! Hostas, I think I can get those at the local place. Thank you! When is the best time to plant them?

173abn

Threads
I would,nt plant them until spring .seeings that you live in Al. your spring isn't too far off.they also come in a lot of varieties.one of my sisters and her husband have alot of shade also and the hostas they planted have pretty blue flowers.they also have planted several varieties of columbine and do well in shade. russ

LittleRed

Threads
St. Augustine is a good grass for in the shade, but it's not a seed grass, you'll have to use sods of it. It's quite fun to do though, and I found some antique coins last time I had to do it!

jenkinsph

Threads
St. Augustine is a good grass for in the shade, but it's not a seed grass, you'll have to use sods of it. It's quite fun to do though, and I found some antique coins last time I had to do it!

I had good luck with planting St Augustine sprigs under trees in Mississippi. Pull some runners (sprigs) about a foot long then take a hatchet and make a swipe at the ground at a 45 degree angle few inches deep and stick the joint in the crevice and tamp in place. Do this all around the area and water as needed. It should grow together and fill in with time.

Harriet

Threads
There are shade loving ground covers available. One called Dead Nettle is one that comes to mind. There is also a plant called Bishop's Weed that might work for you too.