My riding mower can not swim(30" Murray)

TradesmanGuy

Threads
Hi everyone, My sister was pulling a yard trailer around the pool and the trailer whent into the pool and my 30" Murray (model# 309000X8A) rider jumped in to try and save the trailer but, the mower whent down running. Now, I have drained all the water out of the engine, carb. and fuel tank. The mower has no fire at all, I can't find any kind of brain box (ign. module). I did see on the parts page there is a diode in the line, is there a possibility the diode may be burnt out to keep the ignition dead or, is there a bigger problem? Thanks for all the help!

How well does it crank now? Are you SURE the plug wire and plug cap are making a good connection? Are you sure the plug is ok? Test the plug, or at least temporarily install a new one into the plug lead and see if that gets a spark. Is it possible your battery got wet enough that it diluted the acid and now it does not have much cranking power?

JEEZ...I am new here and the description of your problem is next to useless!!!! No wonder nobody seems to have any input. How old is the mower? What engine? Single or twin? Briggs, or whatever? How do you help someone who is so reluctant to provide any detail?????

Duffer72

Threads
Take easy guy, your 2nd msg wasn't posted when I read your first one, I'm not sure what you are so twisted about, haven't heard anyone make a comment to you. Rather you have called people responding jokers, I have over 30 yrs working on small engines what are your qualifications, your profile only says you are a homeowner.

Also if you have read all of the posts you will see he has said there is no spark, not even when he holds the plug wire in his hand, others have already suggested damaged coil from the water,

rron1229

Threads
"Lead Troll"...??? Is that what they call people here who have no really useful input on the subject? I may be new here but I can think of numerous causes for his no start that none of you jokers seem to be able to furnish !!!!

Yes, I would be interested in hearing what you have to say. That is the reason I am doing all this typing, to get peoples opinions and ideas . Thanks in advance for your help.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
SO READ THEM!!!!!!

We are all here just trying to help with this....
read the posts again... It is clearly stated No spark, with or without a spark plug... the most sensitive measuring device I can think of is, holding the plug wire... You will feel Any amount of spark, no matter how slowly the engine is turning over...

The description of it going into the pool & having no spark is an excellent description of what is happening with it...
:smile:KennyV

TradesmanGuy

Threads
We are all here just trying to help with this....
read the posts again... It is clearly stated No spark, with or without a spark plug... the most sensitive measuring device I can think of is, holding the plug wire... You will feel Any amount of spark, no matter how slowly the engine is turning over...

The description of it going into the pool & having no spark is an excellent description of what is happening with it...
:smile:KennyV

If you are holding a BARE plug wire, perhaps you would get a jolt..I am a journeyman electrician....may I suggest OP buy a multimeter and learn how to use it and that will pinpoint the problem. The MOST sensitive measuring device is a multimeter, not your hand.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
....If you are holding a BARE plug wire, perhaps you would get a jolt..I am a journeyman electrician....may I suggest OP buy a multimeter and learn how to use it and that will pinpoint the problem. The MOST sensitive measuring device is a multimeter, not your hand.

If there is any thing at the end of the magneto .... or a coil on an engine. You will absolutely feel it, if you are not 'sure' you felt it the first time... just use your little finger, against the head, to steady yourself... your next door neighbor will likely be able to tell you the voltage you encountered just by the sound, you make...

I've been in medical electronics for over 30 years... there are more sensitive measuring devices than a multimeter... however.
...If you have the "Nerve":biggrin: They are very finely tuned to detect high voltage ignition sources... and you generally have them conveniently with you...

But I do generally reach for my Beckman or Fluke meters for assistance, & there are some very nice low priced digital meters available for the occasional user.... :smile:KennyV

benski

Threads
"Lead Troll"...??? Is that what they call people here who have no really useful input on the subject? I may be new here but I can think of numerous causes for his no start that none of you jokers seem to be able to furnish !!!!

Indeed. New ignition module, water in the fuel system, what?

TradesmanGuy

Threads
If there is any thing at the end of the magneto .... or a coil on an engine. You will absolutely feel it, if you are not 'sure' you felt it the first time... just use your little finger, against the head, to steady yourself... your next door neighbor will likely be able to tell you the voltage you encountered just by the sound, you make...

I've been in medical electronics for over 30 years... there are more sensitive measuring devices than a multimeter... however.
...If you have the "Nerve":biggrin: They are very finely tuned to detect high voltage ignition sources... and you generally have them conveniently with you...

But I do generally reach for my Beckman or Fluke meters for assistance, & there are some very nice low priced digital meters available for the occasional user.... :smile:KennyV

Is the "feel" method recommended for those with weak hearts...oh yes, you of all people who claim to be in medical electronics should know I am being sarcastic here.....:laughing::laughing:

Yes, a good multimeter is a very valuable diagnostic tool, one need not spend much more than $20-$25 for a homeowner model. I am partial to the Craftsman brand myself.

Duffer72

Threads
never tested spark with a meter, give me a good old spark teater anyday and easier to use.