My Lawn Mower Repair Thread (56k warning)

hanyoukimura

Threads
Didn't get the time I had wanted to work today, but I did get the Grand Prix mostly back together...

web.jpg

web.jpg

The blade needs to be reinstalled and the collar that holds the throttle cable in the housing broke, but its almost done.

Snapperfreak

Threads
I may be a snapper freak but I'm a fan of any old mower that looks brand new. Great work sir!

hanyoukimura

Threads
I may be a snapper freak but I'm a fan of any old mower that looks brand new. Great work sir!

Thanks! I'm really happy with how its turning out. Once I get the blade on and the cable repaired or replaced, it'll be good to go. The only thing left after that is the stickers. I removed them intact, but not sure how to clean and adhere them back on.

hanyoukimura

Threads
I'm fairly certain that once I get the Snapper going, it'll get a similar restoration. The question becomes: what colors? Obviously red, but I'm on the fence about the whit engine (which is currently black) and handlebars. I white is "correct" but I don't really care for it. I'd rather do black. Hmm....

Also, does anyone know how many mounting holes are on the deck of the aluminum Snappers? I really dislike the sideways mounted engine, and would prefer it to be longitudinally mounted. Haven't had time to look it over yet though.

Snapperfreak

Threads
It's been awhile since I've had an aluminum-deck snapper but if I remember correctly it had 4 holes. If u mount the engine in a different direction will the throttle cable reach the engine and mount correctly?

theredlineboss

Forum Newbie
Threads
The Grand Prix is looking great! When I worked on mowers before (around '01), I had a mower with that same deck, but I think it was a different brand - IIRC, it was a Wheeler. Seemed to be a simple, sturdy machine.

Interestingly, one of these actually came up on my local craigslist the other day. Looks pretty good, though a bit pricey at 125 bucks:

-Robert

Attachments

• 00x0x_i7W9QOQiG0t_600x450.jpg
    00x0x_i7W9QOQiG0t_600x450.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 00x0x_i7W9QOQiG0t_600x450_zps56os5l2f.jpg
    00x0x_i7W9QOQiG0t_600x450_zps56os5l2f.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 5

hanyoukimura

Threads
The Grand Prix is looking great! When I worked on mowers before (around '01), I had a mower with that same deck, but I think it was a different brand - IIRC, it was a Wheeler. Seemed to be a simple, sturdy machine.

Interestingly, one of these actually came up on my local craigslist the other day. Looks pretty good, though a bit pricey at 125 bucks:

-Robert

Hey, look at that! Looks pretty good shape too.

Funny thing is that these cheap, basic, steel deck mowers are pushing 35-ish years old and are way more sturdy than the cheap mower you get now.

It does beg the question of what I could sell this mower for. It's basic, but being thoroughly renewed. When I first got this mower I thought about keeping it, and while I still like that idea, I have a much larger collection of "keepers" than I did back then!

Vervepipes

Threads
Deciding what to keep can be tough. The dime a dozen MTD and Murray types are normally easy enough to want to sell, but older ones have a neat factor to them.

hanyoukimura

Threads
Deciding what to keep can be tough. The dime a dozen MTD and Murray types are normally easy enough to want to sell, but older ones have a neat factor to them.

It's definitely neat. I mean as a mower its nothing special like the Snapper or Briggs 2-cycle powered Toro, but as a survivor its quite something.

Speaking of which, its time for the glamor shots!

I believe I can finally call this little guy done. I managed to reuse the Grand Prix and model ID stickers. Reattached them with 3M Super 77 adhesive. I had wanted to use the triangle sticker, but it was already damaged before I removed it. I also got lucky and found a cable that fits the throttle lever. Put the blade on, filled it with oil, and 3 pulls later it was purring like a kitten.

Almost forgot, this was the state of the handlebars before I took water and steel wool to them. That stuff's amazing.

web.jpg

Anyway, here's the finished product:

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

I also managed to get both the Snapper and the Husqvarna running. The tank had a bunch of old gas in it but was really clean inside. The carburetor is actually made of metal! However, the Snapper didn't want to run more than a few seconds even after a carb clean, so I swapped the assembly out for a tank and Carburetor off a modern engine. Took a few tried but it finally fired up, and after a minute or two it was smoke free and running well! The drive system is weak, but it works. Maybe it just needs a new belt(s), I'm sure they're ancient.

The Husqvarna had old gas in it too, but the carburetor was pristine inside. A good cleaning and a few pulls later it came to life. It idles slow even at full throttle, so there's some work to do there. I discovered its not actually missing any cables, but the drive engagement cable came off. I'll have to reattach it and see what happens.

Productive day overall though!

hanyoukimura

Threads
Rainy day, but I may have a sale on the Yard Man. While I was moving mowers I poked around the Husqvarna a bit. Under the deck it has a friction disc setup for the drive system, and while looking at it, I noticed that the belt was off! When the rain ends I'll see if that belt will go back on. Bet it needs to be replaced, but I'd like to know if it'll work first. One other thing I noticed with this mower is that I can push it forward, but the wheels lock up when I pull it backward. I've encountered this with what's become a parts Ariens. Not sure why though, any thoughts?

I did adjust the throttle spring on its engine and now it runs at a normal speed. Maybe the spring is just worn, I think I have a new one somewhere.