My Lawn Mower Repair Thread (56k warning)

hanyoukimura

Threads
Sweet Jesus! :eek:

Those mowers look like brand new now! :thumbsup:

Thanks! Its amazing what a good cleaning and some rubbing compound will do for most of them.

jamesslcx

Threads
I am impressed! Nothing wrong with fixing up cheap mowers, you do great work.

hanyoukimura

Threads
Well the Craftsmman is now ready to go and up for sale. I really don't like this mower. I think its ugly and I hate how the pull string isn't taut, but it should fetch a decent price and maybe land me a interesting trade if I'm lucky. Runs great though, should make its new owner happy.

IMG_8791.jpg

IMG_8793.jpg

IMG_8795.jpg

IMG_8797.jpg

IMG_8801.jpg

hanyoukimura

Threads
The loose pull cord was bugging me so I moved its placement.

IMG_8802.jpg

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'd also like to acquire a 2-Stroke Lawn Boy. They seem quirky and different, kind of a like a Saab.

I had another thought about the Saab/Lawn-Boy analogy: at one time both brands produced unique, innovative designs that were, in many ways, superior to other brands at the time. However, both brands declined and now produce products which are essentially interchangeable -- except for the nameplate -- with the rest of the market.

It's a shame for both Lawn-Boy and Saab -- their better years are behind them and are never coming back. :mad:

hanyoukimura

Threads
Pity GM spun Saab off just as they were getting their best product in years. The new 9-5 is a stunning car and the 9-4x looks to be a very nice CUV.

Edwards saw service

Threads
Two-Stroke said:
I had another thought about the Saab/Lawn-Boy analogy: at one time both brands produced unique, innovative designs that were, in many ways, superior to other brands at the time. However, both brands declined and now produce products which are essentially interchangeable -- except for the nameplate -- with the rest of the market.

It's a shame for both Lawn-Boy and Saab -- their better years are behind them and are never coming back. :mad:

Yeah since the EPA has been cracking down on us small engine mechanics old lawn boys are gone because of the law that states any ground supported equipment such as a snow blower or lawn mower has to be four cycle per emissions regulations. Any ground supported two cycle machines produced today are illegal. So no more lawn boys or two cycle snow blowers (which I hated anyway) too much noise for a snow blower.

Edwards Saw Service in Glen Mills PA

hanyoukimura

Threads
Scored big Tuesday. Picked up a free mower. Owner said it wouldn't start. Checked the oil and it was low, though not empty. When I got home I went to pull it over and it was very stiff, but not seized. Added some oil, it freed up and started 3rd pull!

It's a Poulan Pro PR6Y22CHB 22" Self-Propelled mower.

Don't know much about the brand, but it is Made in USA so that's always a plus. It's also quite heavy, heavier than my Brute. However the self propelled feature works really well and the large rear wheels have ball bearings so it moves well. It runs and cuts excellent, and overall it's in really good shape, even under the deck. Should clean up really well. I'm pretty thrilled I didn't have to really do anything to make it run besides add oil.

Too bad it didn't come with the bag, but nevertheless it should sell for good money next spring.

IMG_8807.jpg

IMG_8808.jpg

Edwards saw service

Threads
If the engine was ran with low oil and partially seized or stiff double check the engine operation. Some engines that have seized up and freed with some oil have been known to develop a rod knock. Just check to be sure all is well before selling. Don't want the mower to have a rod knock and possibly throw a rod. I've seen it before its like shrapnel.

Edwards Saw Service in Glen Mills PA