My John Deere 12 hp mower will not start

boshores

Forum Newbie
Threads
My 12 hp 2 cylinder John Deere lawn tractor(mower) cranks over but will not start? I checked the fuel pump and it is pumping. I checked the coils and they are firing. I took the spark plugs out and they are not fouled. Can someone help me?

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
My 12 hp 2 cylinder John Deere lawn tractor(mower) cranks over but will not start? I checked the fuel pump and it is pumping. I checked the coils and they are firing. I took the spark plugs out and they are not fouled. Can someone help me?

If the plugs are actually firing a strong blue spark, remove the air filter and put a thimble of gas down the carburetor throat and try it after the plugs are installed.

boshores

Forum Newbie
Threads
If the plugs are actually firing a strong blue spark, remove the air filter and put a thimble of gas down the carburetor throat and try it after the plugs are installed.

Thank you SeniorCitizen. I did as you said and it tried to start. That told me it was not getting gas to it. I double checked to be sure the fuel pump is pumping through the hose to the carburetor . It is. That told me the carburetor float valve must be stuck. I tried to unstick it without taking the carburetor off but could not. I removed the carburetor and unstuck the float valve with WD40 and air pressure. I would have removed the float but was having trouble getting the little float shaft out and did not want to break the carburetor. If the float valve had not come unstuck I would have had no choice but to get the shaft out so I could remove the float and valve. I'm putting it back together and feel like this has fixed my problem. I will let you know later it works now. Thank you again.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks for the feedback and just glad I may have been of some help. I've used the product below for years in each can of gas when I fill up and it seems to prevent build up of varnishes. Adhere strictly to the label directions.

Berryman