My bolens!!

metz12

Threads
Im used to getting things used or free for that matter. the only thing i have bought new was my blower. i usually fix alot of my stuff or i get it for cheap used that already runs. i got my craftsman for free, my yard machines for $100, my bolens weedwacker was free on the side of the road, my push mower was free and that ran. all it needed was a spark plug and a new primer bulb.

Kodie's Lawn Service

Threads
motoman,

IMHO, your advice is spot on!! I too used a Ryobi 790R for 10+ years and right now my son is still using it. The original SpeedSpool was the easiest trimmer head by far to replace the line in. The ONLY problem I had with the Ryobi was that the doggone 10% ethanol gas destroyed the fuel lines and they had to be replaced and the shop that did the work didn't know what they were doing when they replaced them. Still "leaks" a tiny bit but runs well and all of the attachments that the detachable straight shaft accomodates makes it a very versatile trimmer as well. But in my wisdom(or lack thereof:0) I decided to get a 4-cycle straight shaft trimmer and ended up getting a Troy-Bilt at Lowes(same place I bought the Ryobi). Main reason.....also has DNA from Ryobi(most likely built by them) and the attachments work and I could use the spare SpeedSpool I had bought for the Ryobi. But....the Troy-Bilt(even though quite a bit more expensive) was not the same quality components as the old Kia(I mean Ryobi:0) 2-cycle. Just after the warranty expired, so did the drive shaft(twisted off where it connects in the head). I ordered a replacement from Troy-Bilt and hope it fares better. All that being said, I sometimes wish I had the old Ryobi and had the fuel leak fixed and give my son the Troy-Bilt:0)

P.S.
I can't tell by the OP's original statement whether he actually is in the "lawn business"("doing a leaf job") or whether he simply needs a residential quality trimmer(like we have recommended). He sure was put off by the pricing of Stihl & Echo trimmers!!
Just to let you know troy built:eek: weedeaters are made by the same people as ryobi.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Wow, those things are pretty pricey. i guess if you want quality stuff you gotta pay the price! but i feel like when i use a straight shaft trimmer then my back gets tired quickly.

You don't have to pay real big money for quality stuff, you can buy off Craigslist and get some good deals on Echo and Stihl stuff. I purchased one of my Stihl Edgers the FC-75 for under half and it was like brand new. The equipment is there you sometimes just have wait and the deals will come.