Murray rider-Stack pulley loose on/attached to engine

bradcash

Threads
  • / Murray rider-Stack pulley loose on/attached to engine
I have a 15 yr old Murray rider. 16 hp, 46". The engine kept running but the drive belt quit and stopped everything else. I found that the stack pulley was loose and could be pushed up a couple inches. How does this stack pulley attach to the engine? Looking at the parts book leads me to believe that a bolt goes up inside the stack pulley to attach to the engine. As old as the mower is I hate to take it to a mechanic. I will appreciate any help.

Dannie

Threads
Pulley has a bolt in bottom.If pulley moves up & down bolt may be loose or the spacer above pulley may have broke and fell out.If you can get a pipe wrench around pulley to hold it,tighten bolt.If you cann't get pipe wrench on pulley take screen off top and hold flywheel nut.If bolt is broken off hope it broke off with a little up out of shaft,they are sure hard to get out if not.Good Luck.

Michael

Threads
Pulley has a bolt in bottom.If pulley moves up & down bolt may be loose or the spacer above pulley may have broke and fell out.If you can get a pipe wrench around pulley to hold it,tighten bolt.If you cann't get pipe wrench on pulley take screen off top and hold flywheel nut.If bolt is broken off hope it broke off with a little up out of shaft,they are sure hard to get out if not.Good Luck.

Holy Shammoly, Ive taken at least 200 of those apart in the last 3 yrs, and have never needed a pipe wrench, nor have I come across a broken flat washer, which is actually a spring washer, or a broken bolt. Someone somewhere, has remove the bolt, & did not replace it properly, your scaring the guy to no end.:frown:
Michael

Briana

Lawn Addict
Threads
This thread has been moved to the newly opened, Murray Forum. :smile: