Murray / Craftsman rider running rough & hunting #309008x99A

Mike0627

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Murray / Craftsman rider running rough & hunting #309008x99A
Hi all,
Got a new (used) rider, and the above model number is what is on the instructions the guy gave me. I guess it's right - don't know for sure. It has a Briggs 13.5hp engine in it It is running and cutting - just not great.

Main issue is that it hunts like crazy unless I put a load on it. With the blade engaged it smooths out, but I *feel* its not a strong smooth idle. With no load on it it hunts up and dawn, and doesn't even sound like a smooth effortless idle... like there's something wrong with the fuel mixture. THe plug is good, the fuel is good.... so

Is there a help on adjusting the carb?

When it hunts, I can see whatever that lever is, near the carb and throttle linkage, moving freely - so what makes that move? Thats pretty interesting... if I hold it the engine seems to run ok .. but like I said still maybe rich...?

One of the labels on this says "True Automatic Transmission". That seems to be great and smooth, but it doesn't stay where I put it .. .like in the middle. It's fine if I hold it, but it won't stay. Is there some adjustment on that?

I cant seem to locate any of the stuff I am asking about in this manual... maybe its not even the right one.

Thanks to all as always

Mike