Murray / Briggs 5.5HP MT155380H discontinued spindles?

akatiggers

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Murray / Briggs 5.5HP MT155380H discontinued spindles?
Hi there all :) I've got a Murray (Yard King) that I've loved and tried to look after that goes great. Unfortunately my repairer has just told me that my spindles (axles) are both really worn and that the part is discontinued :-( I really don't want to get rid of this mower. Does anybody know of a potential way I can replace these, where I might be able to source them or if there are alternative after market parts with different numbers? They look like simple enough parts. I am in Australia but will import them if needed. Mrs makes the mower look better than I do 😂
Part number is 7400231ZMA (right) and 7400232ZMA (left)
Cheers, Mark (Bowral, Australia)

Mower-ss.png OIP.jpeg

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Looks like you are out of luck on that 2012 unit. About the only option is to surf the mower part boneyards for a good set of spindles.

The main problem is Briggs has been deleting a lot of the old equipment especially from companies they have purchased. This is the result of them having to file bankruptcy several years ago and being brought by a financial investment company. Briggs has continually gone down hill since as they are supporting less and less of the equipment that is under their wing. I even had a two year old Briggs engine last year that I could not get part for. According the Briggs dealer support they had contracted that engine and the manufacture went out of business so no parts were available.

Financial investment are just milking Briggs for every penny they without investing more in replacement parts. I am looking for Briggs to finally die in the next few years.They have already refused continue my access to the PD Distributors account and also deleted my Power Portal account. I still got a back door into the Power Portal until they find it.

I have been left surfing the net for Briggs parts now as many of the normal sources are now drying up too.

akatiggers

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for replying - thats really sad hey? In every other respect this mower would be fine for years. I’ve even asked about getting them fabricated, they are simple enough, but that’s probably not cost justified. Throw away world. No accountability or incentive to repair anything. Sad.
Looks like you are out of luck on that 2012 unit. About the only option is to surf the mower part boneyards for a good set of spindles.

The main problem is Briggs has been deleting a lot of the old equipment especially from companies they have purchased. This is the result of them having to file bankruptcy several years ago and being brought by a financial investment company. Briggs has continually gone down hill since as they are supporting less and less of the equipment that is under their wing. I even had a two year old Briggs engine last year that I could not get part for. According the Briggs dealer support they had contracted that engine and the manufacture went out of business so no parts were available.

Financial investment are just milking Briggs for every penny they without investing more in replacement parts. I am looking for Briggs to finally die in the next few years.They have already refused continue my access to the PD Distributors account and also deleted my Power Portal account. I still got a back door into the Power Portal until they find it.

I have been left surfing the net for Briggs parts now as many of the normal sources are now drying up too.
for replying

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
They don't give those wheel spindles away either. One shows NLA the other shows 2 in Briggs US distribution warehouses, but the pair if available would set you back $325 US dollars.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Build the wear areas back with a welder and grind those areas back to original diameter with a Rt. angle grinder followed with a file and emery tape ..

packardv8

Threads
Since you have someone maintain your mower and he didn't offer any DIY fixes, you're stuck.

However, if it were mine, I would turn down the worn area on a lathe and press bushings over it of the appropriate OD.

BTW - you didn't mention if the spindles were worn on the wheel side or axle/kingpin side. Either can be repaired if one has the time and experience.

Sometimes, there's enough stock in the wheel hub or the axle to bore it oversize and insert a bushing to take up the wear there.

jack vines

akatiggers

Forum Newbie
Threads
Build the wear areas back with a welder and grind those areas back to original diameter with a Rt. angle grinder followed with a file and emery tape ..
Thanks I have a friend who can weld so I’m sure he could help me do this 👍

akatiggers

Forum Newbie
Threads
Since you have someone maintain your mower and he didn't offer any DIY fixes, you're stuck.

However, if it were mine, I would turn down the worn area on a lathe and press bushings over it of the appropriate OD.

BTW - you didn't mention if the spindles were worn on the wheel side or axle/kingpin side. Either can be repaired if one has the time and experience.

Sometimes, there's enough stock in the wheel hub or the axle to bore it oversize and insert a bushing to take up the wear there.

jack vines
Thank you I will give this a go. I’ll get a better picture of them- its the wheel side. I think the bearings got destroyed and the wheels were running without them

woodstover

Threads
Thanks I have a friend who can weld so I’m sure he could help me do this 👍
You will still need to buy & install new bushings for the wheels after the spindles are welded