Murray blade not turning - siezed & hot!

Mike0627

Forum Newbie
Threads
HI all,

Glad I found this forum, looking forward to a little help. I have an older Murray 309029x92B that runs well and has been relatively trouble free. Yesterday (halfway through my lawn - naturally) the mower started squealing like crazy and the blade stopped turning. The splined shaft connecting the input pulley to the blade was hot... very hot... like take-off-your-fingertprints hot!. I really don't want to talk about how I know that!

Anyway, the input pully/shaft assembly didn't rotate ... until it cooled off... then it was fine for a minute & then seized up again. Seems to be the the Mandrel Housing (or Jackstaff Assembly - depending on your source). I am trying to verify that there is some kind of bearing - roller bearings - ball bearing in that part (#94305) that would seize up. Also open to any comments or advice!

Thanks to all
Mike

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Sounds like it was not greased and will probably need to be replaced now - these mandrels - spindles all have bearings and all that I have seen have a grease fitting (zerk) that should be greased regularly. If it got hot enough to seize and burn fingers, it is probably in dire need of being replaced ! :thumbdown:

Mike0627

Forum Newbie
Threads
I thought so. I was looking for a little confirmation before I bought a new one. I didn't see a grease fitting on it, but I'll check it out as I'm replacing it! I can't tell from the part drawing that there is actually a bearing in there... but I think I knew that there really was.

Thanks again...

Parkmower

Threads
Some spindles are sealed with no grease fittings and you may be beyond it's expected life. Or the grease fitting may have broken or fell off.
If your goin to replace one I'd replace them all. The others are prob not too far behind this one.

Mike0627

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks! I'll do that.