Mulching Mulching Plate

silenti

Forum Newbie
Threads
I purchased a used JD GX345 with 54C deck. I already have mulching blades to fit but not the kit. At $200 for the kit I'd rather make something. I can make a plate to cover the discharge but with a three blade deck it seems like you would want each blade "contained" somehow other than pushing all the material toward the last blade where it can't get out. Any thoughts?

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
thats how most do it....with the discharge blocked..the grass is thrown back into the blades....and over and over....sometimes baffle plates are needed to keep the flow circulating....and to prevent dead spots in the flow

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
There is no perfect modification that will allow you to quickly or easily go back and forth between mulching and discharging... Baffles and blocks will 'kind of' work... there are not a lot of dedicated mulching only decks... so the compromise is the best there is... Mulching blades have improved some what, over the years... :smile:KennyV

silenti

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you for the input. You have confirmed that if I want to put on the OEM mulching attachment or make my own the fits in the deck I'll have to take the deck off either way. Just blocking the discharge is the quickest way but isn't as effective in mulching. Thanks again.

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
also..cutting dry grass maximizes mulching...wet grass always is a trouble maker:smile:

Sammy the Red

Threads
... there are not a lot of dedicated mulching only decks... :smile:KennyV

Not a whole lot of them, but I do have one, on one of my Z-turns.
It has it's place in the scheme of things. :smile: