Mulching blades?

Medi

Forum Newbie
Threads
These are the blades that are listed as Gator Mulching Blades.
i wouldn't trust much the description on Amazon however, we can divide the blades into 3 types (standard, all-purpose, and bagging blades). I believe the one you listed is probably one of the all-purpose blades or in other words 3 in 1 blade (discharge, mulch, and bag).

Threads
I use a JD LA 105 with a JD mulching baffle (not side discharge) and these blades I purchased from Amazon:

Rotary Copperhead Mulching Mower Blades​

1699096753659.png

I've been using them for 2 seasons now and they've worked very well for me. They keep an edge better than any of the previous blades I've used, and I have only observed small amounts/lines of grass if I haven't cut for a couple of weeks (fairly tall grass). I try to cut when it's as dry as possible and usually in 3rd gear (sometimes 4th which is too fast for mulching imo). Anyway, I've had good results with the baffle and these blades.

LMPPLUS

Threads
I‘ve been using mulching blades on my Cub Cadel 42 inch along with the discharge plug and it always leaves lines of cut grass if cutting the lawn when it’s even slightly high.

Im wondering if the mulching blades with a side discharge would give better results, had anyone done this before? I do under the mulching plug allows the cut grass to be tossed around and recut.
Rickin, I don't think your blades are the problem those blades are designed for mulching and bagging that work better at mulching because they don't have a real high lift because of the serations used for mulching, try this slow your travel speed down some and keep the engine / deck speed up, and the heavier your grass the more likely you are to get the strips of grass.

andyboy

Threads
I see this on my Timecutter. The lines are just a result the of the physics of the clockwise spinning of the blades. They just shove everything to the right until there is no more further right. Both blades counter-clockwise spinning and the line would be on the other side, contra-rotating and there would be a line either in the middle or on both sides.

I have Gator Blades and the mulching discharge chute cover, and baffles. During grass season, the longer the grass the thicker the line but regardless, the lines of cut grass are finer chopped grass than without the mulching blades. The finer chopped grass breaks up easily with the next mowing or a rake for serious clumps.

On a side note, now that it's leaf season, the chopping is critical since I don't collect leaves but chop them where they lay. I did get some escapees on the chute side but a heavy rubber skirt has cut that to almost zero even on asphalt. Yes I get a line of finely chopped leaves on the right size but its not heavy enough to deter the grass growing in the spring and if It looks more thick than I would like, a second pass with the left blade over the line leaves no line. But leaves behave better than too long grass anyway.

Threads
I see this on my Timecutter. The lines are just a result the of the physics of the clockwise spinning of the blades. They just shove everything to the right until there is no more further right. Both blades counter-clockwise spinning and the line would be on the other side, contra-rotating and there would be a line either in the middle or on both sides.

I have Gator Blades and the mulching discharge chute cover, and baffles. During grass season, the longer the grass the thicker the line but regardless, the lines of cut grass are finer chopped grass than without the mulching blades. The finer chopped grass breaks up easily with the next mowing or a rake for serious clumps.

On a side note, now that it's leaf season, the chopping is critical since I don't collect leaves but chop them where they lay. I did get some escapees on the chute side but a heavy rubber skirt has cut that to almost zero even on asphalt. Yes I get a line of finely chopped leaves on the right size but its not heavy enough to deter the grass growing in the spring and if It looks more thick than I would like, a second pass with the left blade over the line leaves no line. But leaves behave better than too long grass anyway.

Could you expand a little on the heavy rubber skirt? Did you fabricate it and if so, how? Or if you purchased it as an add on, where did you get it?

Thanks