Mulching blades that can still actually lift grass?

bullet bob

Threads
Gravely 60" ZT HD, 2017. Every fall I install https://www.gravely.com/en-us/part/zero-turn-mulching-kit---60-in-decks-79105900 the mulching kit, mainly because without it, the leaves blow out the side chute w/o ever being cut up. So again this year I tackle the project. Sharpen & balance the blades, set the height to 4" (from 4.25") and have at it. And once again the cut just isn't 'even', not like the Oregon high-lift blades give me during the summer months. So my question is, is there such an animal as a high-lift mulching blade that would work with this kit?

nbpt100

Threads
The best mulching is more than just the blade. the deck design plays into it. So there are compromises when going from baggin to mulching. I would inquire with your Gravely Dealer since they know the deck and the engineers there should have figured this all out. Maybe someone here works a lot on Gravely's and can chime in.

The best mulching mower I have every used is a Toro Super recylcer. it has a unique blade and deck system. It bags ok too wtih out changing out the blades. It is a walk behind not a rider but the ideas translate.

Good Luck

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Gravely 60" ZT HD, 2017. Every fall I install https://www.gravely.com/en-us/part/zero-turn-mulching-kit---60-in-decks-79105900 the mulching kit, mainly because without it, the leaves blow out the side chute w/o ever being cut up. So again this year I tackle the project. Sharpen & balance the blades, set the height to 4" (from 4.25") and have at it. And once again the cut just isn't 'even', not like the Oregon high-lift blades give me during the summer months. So my question is, is there such an animal as a high-lift mulching blade that would work with this kit?
I have a Gravely Pro Turn 260. I will put Gator G6 or Gravely mulching blades on in the fall. I do not use the mulching kit. I side discharge and go over it until the leaves are pulverized. In my experience, mulching kits are pretty useless.
Think about what happens when the deck fills up with mulched up leaves.

nbpt100

Threads
I have a Gravely Pro Turn 260. I will put Gator G6 or Gravely mulching blades on in the fall. I do not use the mulching kit. I side discharge and go over it until the leaves are pulverized. In my experience, mulching kits are pretty useless.
Think about what happens when the deck fills up with mulched up leaves.
Any decent mulching mower that I know of will have two blades per spindle. Think Toro and Honda. Also features on the deck that promote better mulching. i.e. Kickers on the Toro. The Hondas and Toro walk behinds mulch and bag well. I can not speak for their riding mowers.

If the deck is filling up you are mulching wet leaves. You can not mulch wet grass. I assume the same with leaves. Atleast not very well. It may be impossible for you to wait for everything to dry out so you do the best you can with what you have. If someone knows of a good mulching riding mower let us know. I do not know of any that have two blades per spindle but there is a lot I do not know.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Any decent mulching mower that I know of will have two blades per spindle. Think Toro and Honda. Also features on the deck that promote better mulching. i.e. Kickers on the Toro. The Hondas and Toro walk behinds mulch and bag well. I can not speak for their riding mowers.

If the deck is filling up you are mulching wet leaves. You can not mulch wet grass. I assume the same with leaves. Atleast not very well. It may be impossible for you to wait for everything to dry out so you do the best you can with what you have. If someone knows of a good mulching riding mower let us know. I do not know of any that have two blades per spindle but there is a lot I do not know.
The OP isn’t talking about a walk behind mower.
My mower and his are similar in deck construction and the blades are interchangeable. I’m describing my experience.

bkeller500

Threads
I created a chute blocker for mulching leaves. No mulching blades just the OEM Simplicity blades. Mulching grass just seems a waste of effort. Most often the decks get clogged and you have to scrape them out thus the benefit of mulching is compromised. Mulching leaves is a bit more effective but it takes multiple passes most often. I tried hi-lift blades once and didn't see much difference but it sure made a lot more noise. Normally cut grass seems to disappear just as quickly as mulched grass if you cut before the grass gets too tall or to wet. Mulching might work for some but I found it ineffective if you end up scraping the deck and tossing the clippings in the landfill. I also hated the windrowing while mulching. How you can expect the grass to be lifted up and cut and suspended in the deck while being recut several times then dropped evenly on the lawn just makes no sense to me.

bullet bob

Threads
What I noticed before I went to the 'kit' was I would shoot leaves 12' - 15' out the side. Run over them again, 12' - 15' out the other side. Seemed like a never-ending battle. Went with a Gravely chute blocker. Didn't work either. So I ended up with the kit.
As a side note I'm really impressed with the kit. Leaves are totally pulverized! In just one pass. But the cut of the grass is less than impressive. That's why I was asking about a high-lift blade that can also mulch. I ran Gators several years ago in the summer months. Just didn't seem to lift the grass & give me that smooth cut. Gave them away. Looks like I may have to try em' again along with the mulching kit. Thanks all for your suggestions!

bullet bob

Threads
I've got a funny feeling here that I'm looking for a unicorn. High-lift blade that mulches. I understand that in order to lift grass, you have to have some place for the air flow to go. Making 3 individual cutting chambers with no-where for the air to escape makes it rather tough to lift & straighten blades of grass before you cut it. :cry:

bkeller500

Threads
I suppose your HOC could make a difference on the blowout of the leaves as well. My leaves are starting to fall and it's time to think about the chute blocker. I made one from some sheet aluminum I bought at HD. Two wing nuts and it's on/off!... You are right about the 3-chambers . Still I would rather just cut the grass normally....and mulch the leaves instead of burning them. It takes multiple passes but I tend to do some Fall Fertilizer Blitzing so my grass needs recutting every 4-5 days anyway. I do have a sweeper for later when the leaves are very wet and the mower won't lift them but it's not my main choice for leaf removal.