Mulch kit or bagger for Raptor SD?

katit

Threads
New Raptor SD owner here

I want to handle leafs with a mower and seems like bagging or mulching is an option. Dealer seem to think that mulching kit is what I need. If I get it - I will get engine guard as well.
OTOH - bagger might cost almost as much (kit + guard) and work better? I don't know what's PRO/CON and I don't like bagger idea because of extra space in garage. If mulching kit works well on leafs - I would go with it..

Eric21

Threads
If you run the bagger you can't have a engine guard, I am just going to run the mulch block off plate and gator blades. I have the plate ordered just have to buy the blades. I will let ya know what I think once I get it going.

katit

Threads
Yes, please let me know. How soon do you plan to do it? And why block off with Gator blades VS OEM mulch kit?

I need to do something before end of September when leafs will start falling.

Eric21

Threads
A friend of mine has a lawn service and he ran the gator blades with mulch plate and had really good results. My dealer also recommended just the plate. He said he had sold the mulch kit to a few customers with the regular raptor but the deck did not handle it very well, kept clogging up. Se said the Sd had a deeper deck than the regular raptor so may not be an issue with it. I should have the plate next week, gonna try it with regular blades first.

katit

Threads
OP here. I installed mulch kit on my 54 inch SD.

Well. I mowed wet (morning dew) and had deck clogged with clippings. But there wasn't many clumps on yard. So, end result was OK, but deck was clogged.

Today I mowed dry. Deck was clogged partially. Here is what I mean. Left section was completely clean. Middle and right section had build-up in front/left area. Not on top of the deck.
Left blade rotates in completely cicular chamber, but middle and right blades not so. I wonder why they didn't make those divider buffles so each blade being surrounded completely? THose corners get plugged first. And I assume those sections of a deck don't work as they should..

Did anybody made modification? I'm thinking about adding some sheet metal to existing dividers and make each chamber completely round. Ideas?

Other then that - I'm impressed. Feels like driving giant vacuum cleaner over the lawn. All leafs just disappear somewhere :)