Muffler Fix

Pete.S

Threads
Somewhere along the line I backed into something and bent the muffler bracket/heat shield off my RZT-42. The bend happened in the middle of the four screws that held the muffler to the bracket, stripping two out and the last two gave up the ghost dropping the muffler off in the middle of a customer's lawn. When I picked up the muffler and examined it, I found that I would not be able to rehang it the way that it came from the factory. The screw threads were spalled and ripped up and two of the holes were enlarged. Then I got the idea to rehang the muffler with four bolts. That's right bolts. I went to my local Ace and bought four 1/4" 20 x 5" bolts, four nuts and 8 lock washers. I drilled holes in the opposite side, carefully measuring twice to locate the holes, then drilled through the interior baffle. Attached the muffler to the bracket using the bolts and lock washers under the bolt heads and nuts, then remounted the bracket to the frame. Worked like a charm. No extra noise. The only thing I keep in mind is that the next backing accident will cost me more than the muffler breaking off.

LandN

Threads
maybe rig up a protective cage to surround the muffler area so that it doesn't get damaged...maybe some rear view mirrors:biggrin:

jmurray01

, , 1,000 Post Club
Threads
Good to see you got it fixed! :thumbsup:

Next time, watch out! :eek: