MTD Yard-man won't move - has new belt

Sillycat41

Forum Newbie
Threads
Our MTD Yard-Man lawn tractor won't move. Had a new belt installed by a competent repair shop last fall. This model 614 has a hydrostatic transmission which is factory sealed so checking fluid level is not an option. Sat over the winter with no leaks on the floor. One comment found was that it could be air in the lines. Any ideas what the problem could be?? It's 19 yrs. old but has not been over used and has been maintained. Hate to give up on it but don't want to dump a lot of money into repairs. :-(

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Check transport rod at back of tractor for being pushed in all the way.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Post the model and serial numbers from the ID tag under the seat. With those we can have an idea what you are dealing with. Also, if you have the belt number the shop installed please post than. Air in the lines is not a possibility on your unit.

Sillycat41

Forum Newbie
Threads
Post the model and serial numbers from the ID tag under the seat. With those we can have an idea what you are dealing with. Also, if you have the belt number the shop installed please post than. Air in the lines is not a possibility on your unit.
Thanks for the response. Okay, I fought the mosquitoes and got the numbers you asked for. Model # 13AU614H755 and Serial # 1B164H10418 Tractor 46SD Hydro 22
As for the belt number... it wasn't on the receipt from the shop so I couldn't find out. He is a highly rated mechanic so I can only assume that he choose the right belt. I'll keep trying to call him... busy, busy. :-( So could the wrong belt cause this problem??

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Those numbers help a lot. You have a 2004 tractor and the belt number should be #954-0349.

Here is a picture on page 36 of the owners manual shows how the belt should be routed.

Three things come to mind which could be the cause of your problem.
1. Wrong belt.
2. Belt routed incorrectly.
3. Hydrostatic Bypass Rod (transport rod) not pushed in all the way. Part #40 on page 36. Also, read page 16.

Owners manual.