MTD Yard Machine, adjustments after replacing drive belts

sadester30

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / MTD Yard Machine, adjustments after replacing drive belts
I replaced both front and rear drive belts (confirmed MTD belts) on a 2000 MTD Yard Machine, Model 13AK673G088, with variable speed drive. First problem was not being able to get the crankshaft pulley lowered in order to remove the front belt and accidentally bent the upper pulley a little in the process. I tried to straighten it back as best as possible but it's not pretty. I wound up bending one of the tabs on the frame around it in order to get the belt off and replaced. After that I bent the tab back.

The next issue I had was that the mower wouldn't stop completely. I followed the manual to adjust the brakes and both linkages for variable pulley and brake. After adjusting, I finally got it to stop, but the front pulley is slipping and heating up. Is it normal for the front pulley to slip when the clutch is engaged? I can't help but think either there is some mystical perfect alignment of all the adjustments for this to work with no tolerance or I messed something up on the pulley. If the latter, I don't know how to get the pulley off to replace. I tried using a pulley puller with no luck.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
WELCOME to these Forums...

Good to see another Kansan in the mix, what part are you in...?

Your problem sounds directly related to the Bent pulley... It's noteasy to get a pulley back true after they are tweaked, in some applications you might get by, but with a system that loosens belt tension in order to stop a drive, like your idler clutch system, the pulleys have to be very true... It sounds as though you will be replacing the pulley set.
:smile:KennyV

sadester30

Forum Newbie
Threads
WELCOME to these Forums...

Good to see another Kansan in the mix, what part are you in...?

Your problem sounds directly related to the Bent pulley... It's noteasy to get a pulley back true after they are tweaked, in some applications you might get by, but with a system that loosens belt tension in order to stop a drive, like your idler clutch system, the pulleys have to be very true... It sounds as though you will be replacing the pulley set.
:smile:KennyV

SE of Wichita; Cowley County. Thanks for the info. I was leaning that way, but wanted another view on it first. I suppose if I don't care about the condition of the pulley it will be easier to remove this time around. I guess I'll try pry bar until it comes loose.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Be careful prying, you don't want to damage other parts... remove anything that is going to be in your way. Just as well give it another go with the puller, you might need to apply heat... they can get stuck tight...
If you do use heat, be careful not to over heat the crank shaft seal at the bottom of the engine... When you place the new one on use anti seize... Good luck, this wkend will be nice for working on outdoor projects... You may be a degree or two warmer because you are just a bit south of me... :smile:KennyV

sadester30

Forum Newbie
Threads
Be careful prying, you don't want to damage other parts... remove anything that is going to be in your way. Just as well give it another go with the puller, you might need to apply heat... they can get stuck tight...
If you do use heat, be careful not to over heat the crank shaft seal at the bottom of the engine... When you place the new one on use anti seize... Good luck, this wkend will be nice for working on outdoor projects... You may be a degree or two warmer because you are just a bit south of me... :smile:KennyV

I wound up not needing to use heat. I was able to use WD40 and the pulley puller. Bent up the bottom part of the pulley but at least it's off without any banging or prying. Now just waiting on the new part to be delivered. Thanks for the advice and I'll post how it goes after I put the new pulley on.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
It's good that you have it off... But it was without the help of a Real penetrating oil... WD40 Is Not a penetrating oil.. Get PBblaster, it is actually designed for the job, WD40 IS Not even a lubricant... it is a water dispersant, actually Water would have been a better thing to use than WD...:laughing:
Dress up any crowning that may have occurred on the shaft, clean the key way and use antiseize when you reinstall the New pulley... You "may" never have to remove it again... but if you ever do, it will come off easily. :smile:KennyV

sadester30

Forum Newbie
Threads
It's good that you have it off... But it was without the help of a Real penetrating oil... WD40 Is Not a penetrating oil.. Get PBblaster, it is actually designed for the job, WD40 IS Not even a lubricant... it is a water dispersant, actually Water would have been a better thing to use than WD...:laughing:
Dress up any crowning that may have occurred on the shaft, clean the key way and use antiseize when you reinstall the New pulley... You "may" never have to remove it again... but if you ever do, it will come off easily. :smile:KennyV

It looks like the new pulley did the trick. Thanks for the help. Learned a lot about how important pulleys are in this project.

Hotttubb

Forum Newbie
Threads
SE of Wichita; Cowley County. Thanks for the info. I was leaning that way, but wanted another view on it first. I suppose if I don't care about the condition of the pulley it will be easier to remove this time around. I guess I'll try pry bar until it comes loose.
The proper application to removing the pulley is with an air hammer.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Actually all that had to be done was to remove the engine mounting screws and move the engine around.