MTD Transaxle Clutch Collar STICTION

gts1250

Threads
Not sure if this belongs here but,, I have an issue with the transaxle not shifting smoothly between forward , neutral and reverse on an older MTD 136m667f118 14.5/38 rider,, I took apart the transaxle last nite and everything looks tight, no bearing play and packed with grease. My questions are: is there such a thing as too much grease, and it seems STICTION is playing a part on the shifter fork pulling the clutch collar off of the forward and reverse beveled gears. The grease is creating a suction and making it difficult for the sliding transfer to release.. Is there a method any of the members use to allow the clutch collar trasition smoothly between the two beveled gears?? Or should I clean and repack with some speacial non sticky but special lubracating grease???? Sorry if this is a repositioned post from new user area,

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Please post the transaxle model numbers.

gts1250

Threads
Please post the transaxle model numbers.

It's on the work bench, I'll post as soon as I get home, Sorry,, Thought the 136m667f118 was enough. I did notice the uppr and lower halves of the transaxle are different that the white sticker on the pumpkin. I'll post all three

gts1250

Threads
It's on the work bench, I'll post as soon as I get home, Sorry,, Thought the 136m667f118 was enough. I did notice the uppr and lower halves of the transaxle are different that the white sticker on the pumpkin. I'll post all three
top half transaxle MTD 719-0314
bottom half MTD 719-0313
white sticker 618-0163
S/N A-136572

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Is there a name on your tranny, like HydroGear, spicer/Dana, Peerless. The numbers you posted come up as MTD part numbers and I am trying to locate a manufacturers manual for you, but part numbers don't help. There should be a tag or numbers stamped with the manufacturers name. With that I can tell you what type of lubricant to use, each one uses a different one.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Rivets, that is the MTD manufactured transaxle, it isn't hydrogear, peerless, or spicer. The service manual for the tranny may be part of the service manual for the mower.

gts1250

Threads
Is there a name on your tranny, like HydroGear, spicer/Dana, Peerless. The numbers you posted come up as MTD part numbers and I am trying to locate a manufacturers manual for you, but part numbers don't help. There should be a tag or numbers stamped with the manufacturers name. With that I can tell you what type of lubricant to use, each one uses a different one.

the mower is stickered, MTD 14.5hpOHV I/C QUIET MODEL 287707 b&s, 38 inch deck ,, MTD 136m667f118 S/N 1L075B90158 under the seat.. the only other numbers on the transaxle is a
US PAT 4,671,680 that is stamped/embossed under the upper half housing of MTD 719-0314 I did find replacement numbers of MTD 753-0678 for the upper housing,
I did separate the housings again last night and wipe most of the grease from bevel gears and clutch collar and that did ease the transition between forward and reverse greatly.

It seems that most of the grease gets spun off during operations, so a question is asked,, is the grease only need initially as most of the grease gets packed on the surrounding surfaces?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Thanks IL for teaching me something again. Have never had one apart, nor even knew that MTD was making their own. When I going into work today I am going to see what MTD's service center says about them. Sorry GTS for making you go through the extra work, because of my stupidity.

gts1250

Threads
Thanks IL for teaching me something again. Have never had one apart, nor even knew that MTD was making their own. When I going into work today I am going to see what MTD's service center says about them. Sorry GTS for making you go through the extra work, because of my stupidity.

thankz again IL and Rivets for keeping up with my post.. The transaxle is still on the bench as the son does not have a lawn yet, so I have some time to get the old girl perfect for him. Repainted in cobalt blue metallic. I did see the benalene grease mentioned. It was described as a liquid grease?? Is something I should consider for the beveled gear/clutch collar area and just repack the axle gear with the spin off? It is the clutch collar that seems to be the one sticking to the beveled gears once contact is made

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sorry, didn't have time to check on the type of lube to use in you tranny today, will try tomorrow.