MTD Mower Deck Shaking

darrinster

Threads
Mower model # 13AT604G401

Mower deck is vibrating/Shaking. I replaced the blades and deck belt. I guess it's one of the mandrel's causing the problem.

I made a video of spinning each mandrel with the deck off the mower. The left side is noisy but is it bad enough to cause vibration? I pulled up and down on the blade and felt no movement.

Here is the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnQbNJU_JXo

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
In a word Yes.
Also check the blades are fitted properly and are balanced.
If the tensioning pulley arm is not free to move it can make the deck shake as can fitting a belt that is too short.

darrinster

Threads
In a word Yes.
Also check the blades are fitted properly and are balanced.
If the tensioning pulley arm is not free to move it can make the deck shake as can fitting a belt that is too short.

Brand new blades. I cleaned off the star pattern before tightening the blades, and secured them with a impact gun.

Tensioning pulley moves really easy. The belt that was on it was shorter than OEM.

Guess I'll order 1 mandrel for the noisy side.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
No need for a complete mandrel it has replaceable bearings top & bottom.
The lower bearing generally comes off with the spindle and then you tap the top out.
Just because blades are new does not mean they are balanced.
Most are but occasionally I come across one that is not.

You do not need to remove the mandrel you can do it while they are still in the deck but you do need to inspect them closley.
They can crack around the mounting points and then these get covered with grass abd become very hard to see.

darrinster

Threads
No need for a complete mandrel it has replaceable bearings top & bottom.
The lower bearing generally comes off with the spindle and then you tap the top out.
Just because blades are new does not mean they are balanced.
Most are but occasionally I come across one that is not.

You do not need to remove the mandrel you can do it while they are still in the deck but you do need to inspect them closley.
They can crack around the mounting points and then these get covered with grass abd become very hard to see.

Would I need special bearings or would bearings at the hardware store work if they are the correct size? The parts diagram only shows the complete mandrel.

Mandrel housing looked good with no cracks. The bottom bearing did not come out with the spindle.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
They are standard medium duty deep groove ball bearings that you can get from any bearing shop ( best price )
Most engineering supply shops
Most auto parts stores with sales staff who can find a part without a computer
Dont know about US hardwear stores.
Jacks Small Engines sells the bearings good price good service but you will have to look up the parts diagrams ( on the web site ) to find the actual part number.
Never buy bearings on line from evilbay, craigs or amazon.
There are more fake bearings out there than real ones and the bearing fakers will put any name on the bearings that the sharletons ask for.

In the US you should be looking about $ 5 to $ 10 each for the bearings so worth doing comparred to $ 60 - $ 140 for the complete mandrel.

darrinster

Threads
They are standard medium duty deep groove ball bearings that you can get from any bearing shop ( best price )
Jacks Small Engines sells the bearings good price good service but you will have to look up the parts diagrams ( on the web site ) to find the actual part number.
There are more fake bearings out there than real ones and the bearing fakers will put any name on the bearings that the sharletons ask for.

In the US you should be looking about $ 5 to $ 10 each for the bearings so worth doing comparred to $ 60 - $ 140 for the complete mandrel.

Really grateful for your help. I will check out my local auto parts store.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads

Most hardware shops no go. Auto parts stores yes as long as you find the person willing to open a book and find the part. I can even find them on the web as long as I get all the measurements correct.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
After locating parts for your 1999 MTD tractor on MTD's website, your spindle part number is 618-0324 & $100.74 on their site. I then googled MTD part 618-0324 & Amazon has complete spindle with pulley for about $44. Your spindle shaft as well as housing may also have excessive wear along with bearing failure. If it were up to me, I would replace both spindles for $71.95 free shipping & be done with it. Sorry for butting in bertsmobile, just wanted to put my 2 cents in.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Isn't that the whole reason why we have open forums ?
very ones opinions are important.
However I have tried a few spindle housings bought down here off evilbay that I could not get from my usual suppliers.
Housings were fine, spindle was OK except it had metric threads where as the original was Unified.
FIne just so long as it and the original do not get mixed up.
Bearings in one were unbranded and had no lube inside