MTD 548

clicon357

Threads
Hi there, newbie here from over in the UK. I've a couple of ride on mowers both u/s at the moment. One is an MTD 548, quite an old model I think? Anyway, I use it to cut my 1/2 acre lawn. I was given the mower for nothing as it needed a few bits; battery, key switch, belt etc. I'm having a few problems with it, any input appreciated:

1) The cutting deck, this is very, very rusty, falling apart in fact. I've attemted to weld it up with sheet steel and will shortly need to do so again as its really not well. Are the decks available as a spare part?

2) Because of the state of the deck 2 blades have been removed as the holes for the bolts where the blade bolts on have pulled thru, another weld up job. The remaining blades have been spaced out so it remains balanced.

3) Belt - the one that goes from the engine to the cutting deck - it eats them, they just don't seem to last for some reason. In the UK I have to pay nearly £50.00 for a belt and it must be an MTD one nothing else appears to fit! Any suggestions please?

4) Drive - latest problem. Start the mower and it will drive around for a while no problems. Within a couple of minutes the mower won't go anywhere and just screeches and sits there when you try and go forward or reverse. Belt again maybe?

Thanks in advance for any help.