MOwing wet grass

Bagster

Threads
The man at the mower shop told me that mowing wet grass will cause the belt that turns the blade to stretch. My idea is that an el cheapo belt might, but a top-quality belt shouldn't. Anyone know for sure?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
A quality Vbelt will not stretch... it will break.
You may get a worn belt to look like it is longer because it is setting lower in all the pulley groves, but the outside diameter will not have changed appreciably over it's useful life cycle... :smile:KennyV

LakeRat1

Threads
Plus 2 that wet grass will not stretch a good grade V belt, What wet Grass does is sucks the power out of a mower, & over time will cause problems with the deck, that iron that the deck is made of does not like that Juice from wet Grass, I know some people have no other chose but to cut wet grass, I Never cut my grass when its wet

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
In my 60+ years of mechanic work I have never seen a belt stretch. Break and come apart but nor stretch. I just had a repair job this summer that came into my shop that the wet grass build up was so bad under the deck it wouldn't cut the grass good anymore. The customer thought he had a belt problem but he didn't. I installed new mower blades and cleaned the deck and it cut like a new mower.