mowing range on 1 qt of gas

r dubya

Forum Newbie
Threads
My 21 yr old push mower bit the dust. Because I'm also 21 years older, I want to upgrade to a self-propelled. Looking at either a Toro Personal Pace Recycler (Briggs & Stratton 163cc) or a Toro Personal Pace Super Recycler (Honda GCV 160cc OHC), but looks like all their current models have only a .25 gallon tank. I'd just like to know if 1 qt of gas will be enough to mow my lawn without having to refuel every time? Old mower held 1.5 qts and never ran out during a mow. Our lot is 1/2 acre but minus house, beds & woods probably only about 1/3 acre of lawn....it takes 40-50 mins of engine run time to mow. I know there's a ton of variables, and mowers are supposed to be more efficient today than in 1997, but just wondering if someone with similar lot size & 1 qt Toro tank can mow on one filling. May seem silly but it'd be a deal killer...if not, I'll buy something else. I'm getting old....don't want to spend my last days trudging to 'n' fro from the shed.

I have to assume when Toro rates a mower for 1/2 acre lot, they factor their tank capacity with that in mind....or are they just going cheap?

(please, no opinions on other mower & engine brands....just the gas tank thing, thanks.)

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Have you tried contacting Toro with an email with your question.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Very coarse way of estimating fuel burn is to multiply .42 x horsepower used. Horsepower used, not the rating of the engine. Worst case would be the engine is using all the rated horsepower. That will give you the pounds of fuel used per hour. Gasoline weighs about 6.2 lbs/gallon.

Now all you need to know is the width and speed of the mower. Also, an acre is 43,560 square feet.

Coarse estimate, but should give you something to go by.

r dubya

Forum Newbie
Threads
Have you tried contacting Toro with an email with your question.

Toro phone reps & dealership had no answer. I've emailed toro.com, who says they'll get back in a couple days. Was hoping to get an answer & buy something before the lawn overtook me. If I have to refuel with every mowing, I'll look for another brand....but I would hope they make em to handle at least a standard size residential lot.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
if not, I'll buy something else. I'm getting old....don't want to spend my last days trudging to 'n' fro from the shed.

Do you realize how many Vet's in a wheel chair wish they could "trudge" just 10 feet ?? The older you get the more you should stay active, and NO, I'm not sorry for being a sarcastic bassturd !!