Mower Won't Start Hot (plus dodgy service story)

Jimmbo

Forum Newbie
Threads
My 3 year old Honda lawnmower (HRX 217VKA) starts great when cold, but not at all when hot. Must cool down ten minutes for restarts. I cleaned the carb, replaced the plugs and air filter. Nothing.

Finally took it to dealer, who charged me $125 to "adjust the governor" and apply "thermo-wax". Sounds expensive and totally random to me.

Grass is too wet to test it out, but should I assume I was ripped off, and need to find myself a new service place?

Thanks to any mow-fos out there who can advise.

Last edited:

deckeda

Threads
Hi Jim.

So you're saying you were lied to, and/or don't trust that the dealer addressed the problem? I suppose you'll find out when you run it.

Most (or all?) small engines have a mechanical governor to limit RPMs. If they didn't, they'd self-destruct because their throttles essentially run wide open. I don't know how that translates into trouble starting hot, but nor do I know that it doesn't. I suppose you'll find out when you run it.

Thermowax ... yours has an automatic choke? If not, then I also don't know how that applies.

If it does have an automatic choke, it can easily explain why you'd have problems starting either cold (choke not closed) or hot (choke not opening). A "thermowax" here, is a rectangular cylinder with wax inside that contracts when cold and expands when hot. It's a little part that controls when the choke is open and when it closes.

And if that's the case, the fact that they adjusted the governor is likely due to them noticing your machine wasn't quite adjusted right, and took the initiative to make it right for you. Which, you may or may not appreciate, of course.

I suppose you'll find out when you run it.

Jimmbo

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks much. It IS an auto choke model, so that explains he thermowax. They actually charged me $90 (labor) for the governor adjustment.

primerbulb120

Threads
That is sort of a ripoff, as the governor adjustment probably didn't take more than 10 minutes.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Thermowax ?

When I seen the word I had to look it up. I see its been around for a long time since 1936 used in thermostats. Never too old to learn.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Thanks much. It IS an auto choke model, so that explains he thermowax. They actually charged me $90 (labor) for the governor adjustment.

Welcome to the real world of dealer repairs. The mechanic only see a small part of that 90 dollars.

primerbulb120

Threads
Welcome to the real world of dealer repairs. The mechanic only see a small part of that 90 dollars.

I'm going to get back into repairs. Being an independent mechanic, I can get almost 100% of what I charge.

The highest hourly rate I've ever gotten is $300 per hour.

Astevenson8

Forum Newbie
Threads
I learned something new today too. I've heard of thermal paste for processors on computers but never thermowax on an auto choke. I hope they solved your problem. If it's fixed then I'd say it was worth the investment. Hope it works for you.

deckeda

Threads
I'm going to get back into repairs. Being an independent mechanic, I can get almost 100% of what I charge.

Yes, and so you know that the customer doesn't just pay for the actual work you do, but also for your expertise. I can turn a wrench as well as anyone, but unless I already know which bolt to turn, no work will get done. :)

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads

I have worked as a mechanic for different dealers for 25 years and I know what you are saying. The only way to make $300 pre hour is what they call flat rate or commission work. They time jobs out of a book. The mechanic learns how to make these time so its a advantage to there pay check. Its a big rip off for the customer that most dealers use to pay there mechanics. That could be the reason the OP paid 90 dollars for a 10 minute job.