Mower with diesel engine

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
My father used to have what I think was a Kubota TG1860. Well, I know it was a Kubota, just not totally positive about the model number. It had an 18 hp diesel with a 54" deck, but it could have been a 60" deck as the model number could suggest. He bought his in either '96 or '97. I don't know how long Kubota made those mowers, but a used one in decent shape shouldn't be much over 2 grand as his only cost around $4,500 new.

You were right, that is the correct model number. Did a Google search which turned up a lot of hits, one of them was Used Tractors For Sale at TractorHouse.com: John Deere Tractors, used farm tractors and farm equipment, tractors for sale, Case IH, New Holland, Agco, Kubota that site had several for sale from 1999-2007 vintage.

robert

Threads
When you realize what you -have- to spend to get a real gt (true serviceable hd transmission-hydro lift deck, four wheel drive, power steering and liquid cooled GAS engine) a Kubota is just about a g note north. OR, about $38.00 more per month when I priced them. When you price a JD diesel 500 series (?) the Kubota is alot less.

If my neighbor is correct in his fuel usage, and I believe he is, a Kubota owner will use 75% LESS fuel than a gasser-the diesel payback even over only 10 years does happen-factor in that the Kubota WILL be the only mower you have to buy and it becomes a no brainer.

Did you know that Kubota owns an iron mine in Canada and from this mine comes the ore that they use to pour the blocks and other cast iron pieces on their products, cool or what.

If you have the cash or credit, go for it; if you do not never ever let a salesperson start a Kubota for you-there should be a Federal law requiring wives be with their husbands at all times when at a Kubota dealership.

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
When you realize what you -have- to spend to get a real gt (true serviceable hd transmission-hydro lift deck, four wheel drive, power steering and liquid cooled GAS engine) a Kubota is just about a g note north. OR, about $38.00 more per month when I priced them. When you price a JD diesel 500 series (?) the Kubota is alot less.

If my neighbor is correct in his fuel usage, and I believe he is, a Kubota owner will use 75% LESS fuel than a gasser-the diesel payback even over only 10 years does happen-factor in that the Kubota WILL be the only mower you have to buy and it becomes a no brainer.

Did you know that Kubota owns an iron mine in Canada and from this mine comes the ore that they use to pour the blocks and other cast iron pieces on their products, cool or what.

If you have the cash or credit, go for it; if you do not never ever let a salesperson start a Kubota for you-there should be a Federal law requiring wives be with their husbands at all times when at a Kubota dealership.

Robert, suggest you go join TractorByNet.com | Compact Tractors | John Deere, Kubota, New Holland if you are not already a member. The rest of the folks there (as well as me) are experts at spending OPM. (other people's money). :biggrin:

BTW, I purchased my 4210 package ($23,000 out the door) without my wife knowing about it nor did the salesguy have to start a tractor up for me. I researched, did my calculations, shopped around carefully, and knew what I wanted before signing the sales contract. I ALSO had a clear understanding of what the warranty covered and did not cover. Appears I did my purchase right, after 9 years and nearly 900 hours, my tractor has never needed warranty service or otherwise required to be returned to the dealership for anything.

It is indeed unfortunate all tractor owners cannot be as pleased with their choice as I have been. Robert, I concur with you about spending more up front to get something you really want, especially so when the equipment is a name brand and you will be assured of long life and high resale value. A good tractor isn't so much a purchase as it is an investment. :thumbsup:

robert

Threads
JD, we have reached a milestone-we are in agreement.

As a final thought let me offer this; diesel fuel has always been the more environmentally friendly fuel (I do NOT subscribe to the silly notion of man made global warming) diesel runs any piece of equipment longer per hour/mile than gasoline, diesel releases far less co2 per operating period and diesel uses far less energy/resources to make; factor in the horribly misguided ethanol debacle and diesel is the supreme green fuel..

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
JD, we have reached a milestone-we are in agreement.

As a final thought let me offer this; diesel fuel has always been the more environmentally friendly fuel (I do NOT subscribe to the silly notion of man made global warming) diesel runs any piece of equipment longer per hour/mile than gasoline, diesel releases far less co2 per operating period and diesel uses far less energy/resources to make; factor in the horribly misguided ethanol debacle and diesel is the supreme green fuel..

Concur with you about diesel being much better than ethanol, period. About diesels in trucks, well back in 2001 I subscribed to Trailer Life magazine, one test they had pitted a pair of 3/4 ton trucks (same brand) comparably equipped but one had a diesel engine and the other a gas engine. If I remember right, they reported it would take about 130,000 miles worth of fuel savings for the diesel truck to pay back the higher purchase price and increased cost of maintenance. The trucks were used strictly for passenger purposes (no payload or towing) and that was when diesel was cheaper than gasoline. I have always wished I had saved that issue. I think of it sometimes as the test was slanted as very few people would buy a diesel truck and NOT use it for hauling or towing.

In a tractor...well, diesel has no comparison. My older Deere 318 weighed about 1,000 pounds, the gas engine (48 ci) spun a 50 inch deck and burned a gallon an hour while mowing. My Deere 4210 weighs 3150 pounds, has a 73 ci diesel turning a 60 inch deck, burns just over 3/4 gallon of fuel per hour but can cut just under 2X the area in an hour. Over three times the weight, a bigger engine, and it cuts almost twice the grass on less fuel.

robert

Threads
I believe you are correct again with regard to light duty trucks for the typical consumer, you would never get the cost of the diesel option back especially now with the higher cost of diesel fuel and the additional cost of exhaust treatment engines but the benefit of consumer use of diesel to the environment is immediate and continuing.

Factoring in the work being done is key, as you mention. Those poor people who bought that horrible Phoenix Cruiser motorhome claim on their website that they get in the upper mid to high teens when driving their 450 Ford chasis with the 6.0 powerstroke, and we have met people driving older, pre '07, diesel rigs up to the 34' or so range that claim they are realizing low teens for mileage-in both instances these diesel powered vehicles are getting just about TWICE that of what the big block gassers would get BUT these diesel engines are doing what they do most efficiently-move stuff.

However its important to note that especially with motorhome use, or rather the lack of use, the cost of the engine will not be recovered in three lifetimes -I guess you just have to be a diesel person to buy and drive one.

The sole exception of course, excluding diesel equipment, is automobiles including suvs, payback will happen-my brother has a 3.0 diesel Jeep Grand Cherokee and you will get 30 mpg if you drive carefully PLUS it is the ultimate offroad vehicle, his has never even seen a dirt road of any kind though.... Now his vintage 7.3 Ford has never gotten higher than 13.

mullins87

Threads
Concur with you about diesel being much better than ethanol, period. About diesels in trucks, well back in 2001 I subscribed to Trailer Life magazine, one test they had pitted a pair of 3/4 ton trucks (same brand) comparably equipped but one had a diesel engine and the other a gas engine. If I remember right, they reported it would take about 130,000 miles worth of fuel savings for the diesel truck to pay back the higher purchase price and increased cost of maintenance. The trucks were used strictly for passenger purposes (no payload or towing) and that was when diesel was cheaper than gasoline. I have always wished I had saved that issue. I think of it sometimes as the test was slanted as very few people would buy a diesel truck and NOT use it for hauling or towing.

In a tractor...well, diesel has no comparison. My older Deere 318 weighed about 1,000 pounds, the gas engine (48 ci) spun a 50 inch deck and burned a gallon an hour while mowing. My Deere 4210 weighs 3150 pounds, has a 73 ci diesel turning a 60 inch deck, burns just over 3/4 gallon of fuel per hour but can cut just under 2X the area in an hour. Over three times the weight, a bigger engine, and it cuts almost twice the grass on less fuel.

Now the diesel option in a light duty PU is roughly $7,500. I did some very rough calculations based on a modest spread between gas and diesel prices. Also, I didn't even figure in maintenance costs. The break even point was over 200k miles, infact I'm thinking it was around 250k miles. Buying a diesel truck purely for the economy is no longer a reality unless you're gonna drive it well beyond it's intended life.

mullins87

Threads
The sole exception of course, excluding diesel equipment, is automobiles including suvs, payback will happen-my brother has a 3.0 diesel Jeep Grand Cherokee and you will get 30 mpg if you drive carefully PLUS it is the ultimate offroad vehicle, his has never even see a dirt road of any kind though.... Now his vintage 7.3 Ford has never gotten higher than 13.

The only Jeep diesel that I've talked to anyone about was a Jeep Liberty with the 2.4 liter, or at least I think it was a 2.4 liter. But, regardless of the engine size, I know it was a diesel and his average was only 22 - 23 mpg. I think that Liberty should have gotten the 30 mpg your brother gets. I've been saying for years there is NO LOGICAL reason why we don't have a nation full of diesel powered cars getting 45 mpg and light trucks getting 30 mpg. Modern diesels are quiet, hardly ever smoke and the exhaust smell is not nearly as bad as it used to be. I don't know if the general public is too stupid to realize this, thinking diesels are still stuck in the dark ages, or if it's a conspiracy to keep us dependant on gasoline.

I used to have a '99 F-350 dually with the 6 speed. I knew lots of guys that got lousy mileage, but I got a little over 18 mpg when empty....and I didn't let any grass grow under my feet either. I miss that truck!:mad:

robert

Threads
I have heard similar regarding that little Italian engine (2.8 VM Motori?), rumored to have been designed as a a stationary or marine powerplant-I would have expected much more-much much more than the numbers I hear especially in view of what my brother gets with his 3.0 MB, really a work of art.

The day before yesterday there was a web article about how in demand pre exhaust treatment medium/heavy duty diesel trucks are-like you say the new ones are very different.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
I think a reasonable target for a mower would be to try to aim for a machine that will allow you to complete your mowing in LESS than an hour and a half.... (I can do all my routine mowing in just over an hour, When I mow my large fields, I do not use my lawn mower, but I could, I just do not want to use the smaller 6 foot deck...

How many hours are you going to put on your mower, over it's lifetime...
Again this gets back to, How long do you expect to keep your mower...?
If your only mowing 10 to 20 hours a year. It really matters not what you do it with, you could do that with a push mower, and your health would be better off for it...

If you are on a mower for more hours, you should want to buy a mower that will likely last your lifetime... & if it is a diesel powered rig, the engine will likely out last every other part on the machine...

The average lot size mower should be the 5 to 10 year throw away push mower... (if small single cylinder air cooled diesel engines were commonly available in the USA, we would see them on a percent of push mowers).

If you have a need to put thousands of hours on a mower, over it's lifetime... It Should be a Diesel... :smile:KennyV